Do you have a passion for education? Are you looking to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment at a fast-growing startup? Do you enjoy helping students express their thoughts and ideas through writing?
KEY Education (KEY) is a Vancouver-based admissions guidance and learning enrichment company. While we may be a local market leader, our reach is global. Our team consists of qualified professionals who are passionate about education, making KEY the trusted source for families wanting high-quality supplementary education services and guidance in applying to schools around the world at all levels, from preschool through to graduate programs.
With respect to this particular role for which we are hiring, we guide high school students on preparing for and applying to universities and other post-secondary programs around the world.
Our team thrives in a collaborative and fun working environment, and we are constantly seeking opportunities to learn from one another. We value new voices with different perspectives!
We are looking for an experienced writing coach who will come to us with extensive knowledge and understanding of creative writing. Your focus is guiding our students through the writing process for their university admissions statements to universities across Canada, United States, and the United Kingdom. Your insight and expertise will strengthen our students’ writing abilities while ensuring that they correctly and accurately answer the relevant university admissions essay prompts while conveying their thoughts and ideas in an engaging format.
You will be responsible for working with university-bound students in Grades 11 and 12, helping them brainstorm topic ideas and guiding them through the editing/revision process. You will have experience in teaching students how to write effectively. The personal statements that form part of the student’s application can be a significant role in a favourable decision from the university, and so your role is crucial to our students’ success.
We believe that a strong foundation through education will set students on the right path to success. We need a like-minded individual to join our team. If you possess the right credentials with the commensurate teaching experience, send us a cover letter and resume.
What You Will Do
- Meet with students – in person, online, or over the telephone – to teach them how to write in an engaging and effective manner.
- Develop knowledge of the various university admissions personal statement requirements including the Common Application (US), University of California personal insight questions, UCAS (UK), and individual university requirements.
- Inspire students to see the writing of the university admissions personal statements as a meaningful and rewarding process, not simply as a task to be fulfilled.
- Motivate students who may not enjoy writing and keep on track those students who may not have strong organizational skills.
- Educate students on how to think insightfully and to be self-reflective, and then to demonstrate those abilities in their writing.
- Teach students on how to avoid cliched, controversial, or inappropriate topics and writing styles.
- Ensure that students are well ahead in meeting the various deadlines for them to complete their personal statements.
- Keep abreast on the latest university admissions trends and policies.
- Write articles, guides, or opinion pieces on educational topics.
- Make presentations at informational seminars for clients.
- Adapt and respond to changing conditions and priorities.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to add to KEY’s thought leadership.
- Provide superior service to KEY’s families on an ongoing basis.
- Communication: articulate your expertise and other information with consistency and clarity.
- Cultural sensitivity: promote an inclusive environment exemplified by understanding of various cultural groups.
- Problem solving: use logic and analytical methods to develop realistic solutions.
- Professionalism: demonstrate professional standards of conduct when interacting with individuals in a business environment.
- Time management: balance a multitude of tasks and prioritize duties as needed and the ability to work under tight deadlines.
NOTE: Applicants who have no relevant prior experience will not be considered.
- Demonstrated expertise as a writer, in particular one who has taught students creative writing.
- Examples of your work teaching students in the creative writing process.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably from a top-tier US, Canadian, or UK university.
- Should be high energy, organized, and meticulous at maintaining records.
- A genuine interest in and passion for working with high school-aged students.
- Ability to build and maintain lasting working relationships – with both students and colleagues – in a multicultural environment.
- Be proactive to ask customers questions and be ready to respond to any customer service opportunities.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook, and online communication tools such as Zoom or Skype.
- The ability to work legally in Canada without any type of immigration or employment sponsorship.
If you are ready to take the next step into a challenging and fulfilling role, send us your resume, along with a cover letter. We are interested in hearing from you.
Send your cover letter and CV today!
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $25.00 to $30.00 /hour
- English (Required)