The Specialist Middleware is responsible for ensuring the overall availability, stability, performance and integrity of CN's application infrastructure and middleware system portfolio. The Specialist must constantly work towards improving the monitoring, security and performance of the environment. The Specialist’s major responsibilities include focusing on system growth, capacity planning and delivering automation functionalities to optimize support tasks. The Specialist will play the role of a technical subject matter expert (SME) within the team and collaborate with the architecture, security and application teams to provide guidance related to middleware technology capabilities.
- Lead and execute installations/upgrades, configuration and maintenance of system software in support of business processing requirements
- Lead problem investigations and follow-up on resolution
- Perform preventive maintenance
- Monitor and maintain system availability and performance
- Define and implement high availability setup and maintain and improve disaster recovery procedures and scripts
- Ensure compliance with all appropriate CN IT standards (e.g. security, architecture, project delivery methodology, SOX, etc.)
- Train and coach team on new capabilities and upcoming technology trends
- Automate and optimize support tasks
- Create and maintain scripts and runbooks
- Develop capacity metrics to help forecast system usage and growth
- Roll-out cybersecurity framework to identify cyber threats, protect assets, detect vulnerabilities and respond to cybersecurity events.
- Participate in the project planning phase to estimate effort and build activity plan
- Work with project team to deliver the required middleware infrastructure
- Participate in the T2C process to enforce the support excellence standard.
- Work with the team to define, develop and implement appropriate automated processes and solutions to optimize day-to-day support activities
- Participate in the evaluation and recommendation of middleware tools and technologies for existing and future business needs
- Ramp-up knowledge on upcoming key technologies
The Specialist supports a 24/7 environment on an on-call rotational basis.
- 5 to 10 years’ relevant work experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a Level 3 technical support environment
- Experience in designing, administrating and supporting large scale ESB Messaging systems such as IBM IIB/ MQSeries, MuleSoft Anypoint, Apache Kafka, ITCM, SAG webMethods, MFT, IBM Datapower
- Experience configuring and supporting High Availability systems with GSLB
- Experience with light weight telemetry protocols such as MQTT or AMQP
- Experience in building integrated/federated communication channels with foreign railroads(asset).
- Experience with safety critical system support(asset).
- Experience in installing, configuring, maintaining and supporting the Interoperable Train Control Messaging (ITCM) application(asset).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree or work experience
- ITIL 2011 Foundation (asset).
General Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ambitious to learn
- Independent problem-solving and root cause analysis skills with the ability to assume responsibility for resolution activities
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with peers, management, clients, and partners
- Embrace a team mindset: develop collaborative relationships with others
- Empower and develop people: provide feedback and recognition.
- Knowledge of manage file transfer software, file transfer protocols, SOAP and web services
- Working knowledge of performance monitoring and tuning
- Knowledge of shell scripting and programming
- Knowledge of Linux based systems and operating system fundamentals.
- Knowledge of the ITL incident and problem management processes
- Knowledge of networking and TCP stack
- Knowledge in SSL security, certificate management, mutual SSL authentication.
- Knowledge of computer operations and internal procedures, policies and standards.
- Knowledge of application integration concepts, architecture principles and integration patterns.
Tooling and Monitoring
- Proficient in end to end monitoring tools (HPOMI, Dyntrace, Tivoli)
- Proficient with configuration management system Ansible.
- Proficient with source repository system Git (asset).
- Proficient in Service Now and UCMDB
- Proficient in JIRA/Confluence.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.