TERM FULL-TIME* POSITION IN WEST VANCOUVER*
Due to COVID 19, the start date for the position will be determined thru Provincial Health Guidance.
CLOSES: Open Until Filled
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish Nations community
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Director the incumbent is responsible for high-level administrative tasks to support the diverse needs of the Ta7lnew̓ás Education, Employment and Training department. Incumbent is the first point of contact for complaints for department, gathering enough information to forward to Manager/Director to handle. The incumbent is responsible for time sensitive projects and initiatives, and acts as the lead special projects officer to the Director. Point of contact for department’s communications, as well as updating communication mediums i.e. Facebook. While most duties follow established procedure; some independent judgment is required. Operates at a high level of people interaction and must be able to respond with courtesy, tact and diplomacy.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides high-level administrative support to Education, Employment and Training Department.
- Performs various communications tasks for Education, Employment and Training Department.
- Acts as an assistant to the Director of Education, Employment and Training.
- Acts as the lead special projects officer to the Director of Education, Employment and Training.
- Contributes cooperatively to the Squamish Nation Ta7lnew̓ás Education, Employment and Training team to achieve position and department goals.
Education, Level of Experience & Hiring Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or Business Management/Administration is preferred or relevant/related field from a recognized post-secondary institution. OR May be willing to consider incumbent currently in at least 3rd year of bachelor’s degree in relevant/related field where incumbent must obtain/complete degree within a set timeframe.
- Incumbent may also be required to further their education dependent on incumbent’s education/experience within a set timeframe.
- 2 - 3 years of directly related experience in the majority of duties listed in job description including admin/executive level tasks, special project responsibilities/coordination, communications/media correspondence, report writing, personal assistance, high level administrative skills, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to Squamish Language, project coordination, administration management, computer upgrading, business/grammar writing, communications and media, problem-solving, database management etc.
- Experience as an intermediate user of the Internet and Microsoft Office Applications – Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Experience working in a First Nations Community environment is preferred.
- Valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must be willing to travel and work in our Squamish Valley office as needed.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance that meets company policy.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with vulnerable sector search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Wage: $59,000 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits program
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!
Job Type: Full-time