When you work for the City of Ottawa, you have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to your community. The City of Ottawa provides an excellent starting salary, in addition to numerous growth opportunities – skills advancement, mentoring and succession planning, as well as an employee recognition program. As an employer, the City is invested in fostering employee satisfaction, development and well being. This commitment has earned the City of Ottawa a reputation as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers. If you want to work with a diverse, dynamic team of professionals, dedicated to improving the lives of the people in our area, the City is the place for you.
The Customer Communications Officer (CCO) is responsible for writing and delivering transit service status and information through several channels, including social media, and for researching and writing correspondence from or for Councillors and senior management. The successful candidate will coordinate live information updates, engage with and support customers via social media; and develop content for social media and public alerts. In addition, the CCO will coordinate the delivery of responses to issues and inquiries, respond to requests received through formal channels (i.e. councillor inquiries or from the Mayor’s office) and digital platforms, and assist with communication on special events, emergency and/or crisis communications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of 3 year university degree in communications, journalism or public relations, or related field
Minimum of 3 years of experience in the field of communications, public relations, journalism, marketing and/or media relations including at least one year working in a social media work environment.
- In-depth knowledge of social media dashboard programs (CMS Expressing Engine, TweetDeck, etc.), current social media channels, Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop, and content management systems
- Effective communication tactics and techniques using traditional and web-based channels
- Trends in communications and transit industries and approaches
- Local and current events
- Effective media relations
- City governance, initiatives, programs and services
- Customer service requirements
- Quality assurance procedures
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in Social media dashboard programs (CMS Expressing Engine, TweetDeck, etc.), current social media channels, Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop, and content management systems
- Superior verbal communications, writing and editing skills
- Exceptional eye for detail, editorial judgment, and grammatical skills
- Ability to conceptualize, solicit, research and write stories for official blog
- Ability to be creative and think logically
- Effective organization, coordination and time management skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Ability to identify issues in the public domain
- Ability to exercise effective judgment and independent decision making
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prepare detailed and concise reports
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Exercises effective judgment and independent decision making
- Exercises tact, discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to work directly with City staff, elected officials and senior management
- Ability to prepare comprehensive communications strategies
- Ability to influence and inform stakeholders regarding the application of communications tactics and techniques
- Customer service sensitivity to meet diverse customer requirements
- Demonstrate good judgment, tact, discretion, diplomacy, creativity and initiative
- Positive attitude
- Organized and dependable
- Works effectively in high pressure situations
- Interest in current events and public affairs
- Flexibility in accommodating morning/night/weekends shifts
- Must be willing to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays, should it be required
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement: Designated Bilingual – specific level of language proficiency: French: oral, reading, writing English: oral, reading, writing. Candidates who do not meet language requirements will be required to participate in training.
- You may be required to work remotely due to Covid-19 while the City of Ottawa operates under mandatory telework.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The City of Ottawa promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.
The City of Ottawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Reference ID: 368
Contract length: 24 months
Application deadline: 2021-10-19
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $60,018.00-$85,132.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Night shift
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)