Are you excited to support people to ensure they live their best life?
Are you passionate about teaching practical and functional life skills in conjunction with a behavioural support plan?
Do you think about health and wellbeing in a holistic approach?
You’re looking in the right place!
We are seeking committed, flexible and focused team members with some experience and knowledge of applied learning principles and of understanding significant bio-medical and emotional needs.
Direct support for the individual will involve assisting and teaching of daily activities and routines involved in interdependent living and community inclusion.
The individual in this role will report to the family and their network including the Family Coordinator.
Required Days and Times for Support:
Sunday through Saturday (7 days per week): 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. each day
When applying, please indicate which days you are available for.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
· Support the individual by implementing teaching methods that enhance various competencies and communication, and reduce challenging behaviour under the guidance of the Coordinator;
· Have the ability to record daily data;
· Provide direct support and care to the individual to carry out his day-to-day tasks and responsibilities both at home and in the community such as, health and personal care, dietary care and meal preparation, recreational and leisure roles and family-related activities;
· Work collaboratively with team members to provide cohesive, fluid support;
· Participate fully in team training opportunities; and,
· Uphold, support, and contribute to the vision of a full contributing life in the community for and with this young man.
This role works towards the overall goal of demonstrating the benefit of individualized, community–based and family-led approaches to support.
Recommended Core Competencies:
· A certificate, undergraduate degree or diploma (or working towards it) in human services, behavioural sciences, Applied Behaviour Analysis, Autism studies, community support, social work, or a related field;
· Some experience in behavioural support for individuals with Autism is an asset;
· Experience with seeing/assisting individuals in their most vulnerable states;
· The ability to work and communicate effectively with other team members, as well as close family members of the individual;
· A willingness to learn in a hands-on environment that offers a challenging atmosphere for personal growth;
· A highly motivated attitude that seeks personal satisfaction in the success of the lives of others;
· An ability to remain calm and optimistic in times of pressure;
· An active individual who enjoys walking and running; and,
· Excellent communication skills tailored to the individual, his support team, and his community;
· Valid G Class Driver’s Licence; and,
· A clear Police Record Check for the Vulnerable Services Sector.
Only suitable applicants will be contacted.
~~Please note that you will be hired directly by the family and will NOT be considered an employee of the Durham Association for Family Resources and Support~~
Job Types: Part-time, Contract, Permanent
Salary: $18.00 to $20.00 /hour
- A Reliable Vehicle (Required)