In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care, the person promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Regional Director, Transcription Services & Health Information Exchange, the Lead, Transcription Services Education is responsible for the planning, design and implementation of common core education programs for Transcription Services for all Lower Mainland Health Information Management (LMHIM) serviced sites including development of curriculum planning guidelines, curriculum content, training materials, training aids, documentation and assessment tools as well as coordination of training activities and provision of trainer support to ensure that all transcription training meets LMHIM standards, aligns with industry best practices and complies with government, regulatory and other applicable requirements. Liaises on a regular basis with staff at all sites involved in related training activities to ensure adoption of core curriculum and standards, gathers input on required changes/updates and engages in joint evaluation of learning outcomes.
The position is also responsible for providing day-to-day supervision of transcription education staff which involves resource allocation and selection decisions, establishing performance expectations, conducting performance evaluations and resolving disciplinary matters. Develops and implements policies and procedures in accordance with organizational and legislative requirements and LMHIM operational goals in collaboration with the Regional Director and other members of the LMHIM management team.
- Comprehensive knowledge of teaching and learning principles, methods and tools and demonstrated ability to assess learning needs, prepare training plans, develop instruction strategies and evaluate outcomes of training programs.
- Working knowledge of systems analysis and design.
- Thorough knowledge of the computerized transcription/dictation platforms and how they integrate with other HIM and organization(s) systems
- Comprehensive knowledge of policy and standards for transcription
- Working knowledge of information security and confidentiality guidelines and policies such as the Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the development and implementation of new standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of hospital operations and health care administration requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to manage curriculum development projects including scoping resource and timeline requirements and driving project plans.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and clearly relate technical information and principles of operation to other members of the organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of the organization, including advanced report presentation and writing skills.
- Effective facilitation skills and the ability to motivate and influence leaders and staff.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, critical thinking and effective decision-making.
- Ability to analyze and problem-solve complex issues towards effective solutions.
- Ability to critically assess policy and procedures and affect change.
- Ability to respond to changing priorities and unforeseen circumstances.
- Ability to provide leadership, guidance and direction to staff.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and balance work.
- Ability to operate related equipment, including computer software applications.
Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Business Administration/Management/Information Technology and/or Information Management supplemented by courses and/or specific experience in adult education and curriculum development plus five (5) years recent, related experience including two (2) years recent related experience in a leadership/supervisory role or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
1. Provides day-to-day supervision of LMHIM transcription education staff which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluating staff to ensure effective performance of duties; establishing clear definitions of responsibility for each employee; reviewing workload assignments and adjusting to meet operational needs; motivating employees to achieve peak productivity and performance. Fosters team spirit, trust and mutual respect. Determines training and orientation requirements and develops and implements training and orientation plans.
2. Provides leadership to staff through coaching, guiding and modeling key behaviors/strategies; encourages dialogue and provides guidance and advice to facilitate resolutions to work issues. Assists team members in defining shared and individual goals in order to meet target dates and ensure alignment of team objectives with customer needs.
3. Deals with staff management issues by methods such as participating in the selection process, investigating work and staff issues, conducting performance management (including initiating disciplinary action up to and including termination in consultation with the Regional Director and Human Resources) and handling labour relations issues including the grievance process. Represents the organization in employee grievances and other labor relations matters.
4. Participates with Regional Director in establishing and preparing standards, procedures and instructions that contribute to the effectiveness of the overall organization goals. Identifies areas where existing policies and procedures require change or where new ones need to be developed. Revises and creates new guidelines to ensure compatibility and better service for users.
5. Leads the development and implementation of a common core education program for transcription system users based on LMHIM regional standards, industry best practice, government and regulatory and other requirements.
6. Gathers information from user departments and trainers regarding existing training programs, training objectives and training needs to ensure programs’ content adequately covers business requirements and to enable the development of accurate assessment tools.
7. Works with user departments, team members and other stakeholders to standardize all training programs and materials and assessment tools to the extent possible.
8. Acts as the key liaison and subject matter expert for the team with the organizations, HIM leadership, user groups, technical teams and other internal and external departments on educational programs.
9. Advises and supports staff and other site trainers on curriculum development, assessment and use of teaching materials, software and equipment and other tools for course management. Develops guidelines for trainers.
10. Delivers training sessions, including communicating training dates, managing training registration, logistics, facilities, room set up etc. Participates in user department orientation as required.
11. Evaluates effectiveness of training programs, activities and resources by analyzing learning outcomes, developing and using evaluation tools.
12. Works with team members to ensure training documentation is updated in response to changes in business processes, new applications and/or application upgrades or changes.
13. Participates in user-acceptance testing to learn systems and understand points raised by testers during testing phase.
14. Works with internal and external team members to ensure availability and access to adequate training facilities and equipment, as well as coordinating/assisting with user access. Ensures the training environment provides a replica of system functionality by ensuring all tables, pick lists, and fields are accurate and reflect established standards and policies.
15. Explores opportunities for use of various learning modalities such as self-learning, online training, and opportunities for training partnerships with other health authorities, vendors or external agencies.
16. Ensures the effective use of resources by team members.
17. Participates on assigned internal and external committees and related project work.
18. Performs other related duties as assigned.