********Please visit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted through job boards will not be accepted.***********
Under the direction of the Manager Convocation from April – August each year the Assistant provides dedicated support for convocation including managing invitations, logistics, and on-site trouble-shooting. Reporting to the Manager, Community Relations and University Events the assistant provides general event support for a range of events within the External Relations and Advancement (ERA) portfolio and across the University.
- Assist the Convocation Manager in the set-up, execution and tear-down of Convocation at all locations: outdoors on the University Court beside the Bata Library, and in the gymnasium of the Athletics Centre in Peterborough, and in the Durham region.
- Complete administrative tasks, such as managing the electronic filing system, preparing purchase requisitions, attending all Convocation meetings and preparing the meeting notes. Respond to inquiries by email, phone and in person from students, parents, faculty, and other University departments regarding Convocation.
- Manage the Convocation web site working with the Marketing & Communications team and following AODA requirements. Manage social media accounts for Convocation.
- Create material for Convocation Ambassador orientation for Peterborough and Durham; including role descriptions, orientation meeting presentations, and supporting documents. Manage a thank you raffle for Ambassadors and staff before the end of the Convocation ceremonies.
- Manage the design, production, set up and tear down of the extensive campus-wide signage required for Convocation.
- Monitor numerous complex spreadsheets, documents, and processes, regularly updating the Convocation Manager and Assistant to the Vice President, External Relations & Advancement.
- Manage the suggestions, selection, and votes for the student recessional music.
- Assist with the preparation of the Convocation programs. Prepare, proof, copy and insert the stage directions into the Convocation programs.
- Maintain extensive inventory of gowns and hoods and supplies for Convocation. Manage numerous requests for regalia, signage and other Convocation supplies from University departments throughout the year.
- Evaluate Convocation: collect feedback from ambassadors and staff, contribute ideas and suggestions and research best practices. Assist with the creation of reports for senior administration. Analyze and create the report on attendance and numbers from Convocation.
- Maintain the archival records and lists for Convocation. ,
- Other duties as assigned by the Convocation Manager.
Event Implementation and Support
- Taking direction from the Manager, Community Relations and University Events, or other ERA staff involved in event planning, support the planning, organization, implementation and evaluation of a variety of events including but not limited to: Endowed lectures, Head of the Trent, Trent Lands Plan engagements, the Trent-United Way campaign, and donor celebration or stewardship events.
- Review and edit/approve postings for the shared public events calendar and draft weekly events media advisory.
- Organize and promote Trent Talks; liaising with faculty, event organizers, and high schools.
- Assist with marketing and promotion of events on campus and in the community; updating website, producing posters and social media.
- Physically set up and take down signs, banners and other elements for events. Ensure all necessary materials are available.
- Take notes from meetings and compose minutes to assist others in completing action steps and as a record of the event.
- Liaise with suppliers (e.g. printers, sign companies) to produce high quality materials and ensure deadlines are met.
- Assist with tracking budgets, preparing payment paperwork and submitting to finance.
- Email and phone communication with event invitees and all key internal and external stakeholders.
- Respond to queries, handling or forwarding as appropriate, from internal or external stakeholders re: events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist with updating, tracking and reporting on: event attendance, volunteer lists, invitation lists or recording data in Excel and the Raisers Edge database.
- College diploma or University degree in related field, e.g. special events, communications, or marketing.
- At least two years work or volunteer experience in organizing events of all sizes.
- Highly organized; calm under pressure. Able to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Extreme attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
- Excellent computing skills (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, e-mail and internet.)
- Flexible, resourceful and creative.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Articulate and professional.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Good budgeting and numeracy skills.
- Demonstrates initiative; positive and energetic.
- Willing to perform a wide variety of duties, assist with many different tasks.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of information.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required
- Access to a vehicle is an asset.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $24.98 to $29.49 /hour