The PHAI is a federal initiative to clean-up low-level radioactive wastes situated in the Municipality of Port Hope and the Municipality of Clarington. The project involves remediating a large number of contaminated sites to established clean-up criteria and consolidating the wastes in a new engineered mound (one in each community).Â The project is sponsored by Atomic Energy of Canada (AECL), and the project delivered by Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL).
The Configuration Management Specialist, working under the direction of the Manager of Engineering Oversight, shall provide a wide range of engineering services to the PHAI Project Delivery and Operations teams. These services will include elements of:
Design & design management (performing owner's reviews on technical deliverables);
Project management (assisting in developing appropriate client requirements); and
Engineering management (maintenance of CNL drawings and design basis).
The Configuration Management Specialist shall ensure that engineering activities are conducted safely, comply with the CNL Design Engineering and Configuration Management Programs, and provide value in a timely fashion.
- Perform all duties in the role of the Engineering Representative throughout the Engineering Change Control Process, including selecting design grading and quality requirements, developing assumptions and design inputs, locating & reviewing applicable OPEX and existing design basis documentation, collecting evidence of design/construction/commissioning completion, performing pre-design and post-construction field walk-downs, and performing all engineering close out activities. Provide support to Operations Rep and guide/assist all participants through the ECC process.
- Review technical documents submitted by external consultants and contractors, including conceptual design documents, design requirements, design descriptions, design manuals, technical specifications, technical reports, and technical notes. Focus reviews on ensuring design intent is met, that CNL requirements and standards are incorporated and properly applied, and that the resulting design outputs are unambiguous and measurable. Act as Subject Matter Expert in your field of expertise, as required.
- Prepare and maintain CADD drawings for general civil, structural, architectural, HVAC, electrical, process, instrumentation, and building services modifications to existing or new facilities. Ensure that drawings accurately reflect actual field conditions. Review and ensure that external CADD deliverables are fit for CNL purposes. Maintain the PHAI folder within CNL's AutoCAD Vault repository.
- Design, and assist on designs of, retrofits and modifications to existing facilities and systems, including performing classification, code selection, analysis and registration of pressurized systems and components. Assess equipment selection options and make recommendations. Prepare associated design documentation, including conceptual design documents, design requirements, design descriptions, design manuals, technical specifications, technical scopes of work, and technical notes. Perform verification on other CNL-produced design deliverables. Act as drafter, checker, designer, or verifier on design drawings or sketches, as required.
- Performs field walk downs and site condition investigations. Provide engineering support during the procurement, design, construction/manufacture/installation, and commissioning project phases. Perform Owner's Surveillance and generate written documentation.
- Provide cost and schedule estimates for internal engineering efforts. Review and analyze cost and schedule estimates of technical deliverables submitted by external consultants and contractors. Provide recommendations for efficiency improvements and alternate solutions that are beneficial to CNL. Report on progress and track internal or external outstanding issues and deficiencies.
- Perform any Design Basis Recovery activities required to ensure that the physical plant aligns with the documented plant and both support all regulatory requirements. Work with CNL project and contract management staff, CNL compliance groups, and external consultants and contractors, as required. Perform gap analyses of design deliverables and proposing methods to reconcile.
- Assess consultant and contractor abilities to deliver high quality engineering services to CNL. Recommend potential performance improvements and assist Manager in executing the resulting action plan.
- Bachelor (Honours) in Engineering from a university of recognized standing.
- P.Eng licensed with Professional Engineers Ontario or eligible for PEO professional designation.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in a nuclear or otherwise heavily regulated environment.
- Exceptional candidates possessing a college diploma from a recognized institute of advanced technology in mechanical or civil engineering technology may be considered.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience working in AutoCAD software is required. Must be capable of producing clear and high quality drawings in reasonable time. 3D modeling experience is an asset, with preference for Autodesk Revit.
- Strong understanding of design processes, engineering management principles, safe construction work practices, and records management systems. A knowledge and awareness of radiation protection, environmental, quality assurance and security compliance programs is an asset. Preference will be given to those with familiarity with CNL processes & procedures.
- Knowledge of engineering codes and standards used in the design, construction, and commissioning in a nuclear or otherwise heavily regulated environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. The candidate will be expected to communicate and negotiate with external and internal stakeholders, customers, and suppliers. Must maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships.
- Project delivery experience and familiarity with project management principles is an asset.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision. Must be self-motivated to achieve desired objectives through deliberate planning and execution of work tasks. Defining scope of activities, setting priorities, evaluating and managing risks and monitoring performance.
- General computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications (MS Office).
Job Type: Full-time
- design and design management: 5 years (Required)
- project management: 5 years (Required)