What is the role?
The priority of the Trade Accounts Payable Manager is to ensure that all trade vendor payments are made in a timely and accurate fashion. The Manager does this by managing a team of Accounts Payable specialists to process and distribute payments to vendors via cheque or electronic transfers. This position plays a key role in working with various groups including merchandising, warehousing, Store Operations, Non Trade AP and IT. The ability to meet departmental deadlines including month-end close, reports and reconciliations and other time-sensitive work is essential.
What will you do?
- Leveraging a team of Accounts Payable Specialists to:
o Process all trade payables including store outside purchases, freight and duty in a timely and accurate fashion
o Ensure payments are made within vendor payment terms
o Ensure timely distribution of cheques and electronic payments
o Ensure Vendor Compliance charges are processed accurately
- Ensure electronic payments are made according to the Company’s Electronic Transfer policy. Validate banking information with vendors based upon the Manager approval level. Significantly reduce reliance on cheque payments, working with banking to increase electronic based payments in a safe and secure manner.
- Work with merchandise team to review and approve all new trade vendor set-up requests and validate accuracy of set-up in the vendor master file
- Partner with Category Managers for any vendor issues related to disputes, billbacks, payment terms etc.
- Partner with the DC Finance team to ensure timely and accurate payment of freight vendors along with accurate monthly accruals for freight.
- Work with the Import/export manager to facilitate the efficient uploading and processing of international freight, duty and related GST payments. Work towards additional electronic solutions.
- Perform regular review of trade accounts receivable, ensuring timely collection and resolution, working with the merchandise team as needed.
- Perform month-end close activities to ensure that the balance sheet is accurately stated and complete various Trade AP account reconciliations in a timely fashion
- Prepare year end audit requirements for external auditors.
- Work on continuous improvement of EDI process for AP, identifying additional efficiencies and monitoring AP compliance
- Partner with Vendor Compliance team to resolve vendor compliance charges or issues.
- Support EDI Manager with the EDI project, including issue resolution with vendors. Ensure AP team is using EDI as efficiently as possible. Implement process changes and support/identify system changes where needed.
- Play a key role in ERP system conversions/upgrades and other business changes with regards to accounts payable, including acquisitions. Anticipate impact of changes and address accordingly.
- Manage and develop team of accounts payable specialists
- Assist on ad hoc projects as required
What will you need to succeed?
Experience & Education
- Bachelor or College Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 6-10 years’ experience
- Previous Accounts Payable experience including month-end processes (reconciliations, accruals and journal entries is desirable).
- Previous experience in retail environments
- Accounting and financial analysis skills
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Able to manage and develop team
- Strong communication/interpersonal skills, including ability to develop strong relationships with key Pet Valu partners
- Strong Excel skills essential– (v-lookup, pivot tables)
- Strong ability to maneuver easily in the ERP system, to data mine and design reports/analysis as needed
- Exposure to MS Navision, MS Access and Jet Reports an asset