Tartan Homes - Taggart Group of Companies
Tartan Homes Corporation, now part of Taggart Group of Companies, is an Ottawa new home builder that has been building new communities across Canada’s capital for over 50 years.
Tartan is looking to hire an experienced carpenter to work at our job site in Findlay Creek Village in Gloucester. The Carpenter is responsible for the overall delivery of repair work inside Tartan home building projects.
- Perform repairs to the internal and external structure while ensuring the buildings are safe.
- Install structures and fixtures, such as windows, frames, hanging doors, and hardware, using carpenter's hand and power tools.
- Installation of dry-wall, and minor repairs of drywall after home completion should there be a deficiency.
- Fill cracks and other defects in plaster or plasterboard and sand patch, using patching plaster, trowel, and sanding tool.
- Sanding surfaces, taping, and preparing the home prior to the trades coming in for installation.
- Repair any issues after the trades have been in the homes.
- Prepare and install cosmetic woodworking repairs and replacements.
- Operate and maintain carpentry tools and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Work with Finishing Foreman, and Site Superintendent to order supplies as they are required during the building phases.
- Repair all flooring issues, creaking or cracking. Removing and replacing floor pieces as required.
- Caulk tiles and fixtures, and repair minor deficiencies as required.
- Prepare houses for customer move-in; ensuring they are ready for delivery.
- Complete checklists to ensure accurate and detailed completion of carpentry duties prior to handover.
- Perform other related duties, including minor duties of other trades where certification is not required, and the work does not exceed own limitations.
- Any other duties as required.
Statement of Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience as a carpenter, experience in rough and finishing carpentry is required.
- Physically fitness and manual dexterity are required.
- Quality orientation and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in reading plans. Recognizing potential discrepancies or errors.
- Experience in a high-volume home building environment is considered an asset.
- Able to identify the source of a deficiency and under most circumstances, perform the repair if necessary.
- Knowledge and use of imperial and metric measurements, and strong mathematical reasoning.
- Ability to use power tools.
- Ability to coordinate several tasks simultaneously while maintaining a positive attitude and flexible work style.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in English, both verbally and written.
- Good organizational and time management skills, with the ability to complete tasks independently as per the prescribed schedule/timelines.
- Ability to prioritize tasks based on various schedules (trades, closing, etc).
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently, and a willingness to learn.
- Demonstrated strong customer service and interpersonal skills in dealing with colleagues, trades, and occasionally with homeowners.
Physical/Sensory Effort/Work Environment
- Providing service to several people or departments, working under many simultaneous deadlines
- Sitting or Standing for long periods of time at workstation
- Heavy manual labor, requires ability to climb ladders, push, pull, lift, carry and manipulate objects of up to 80 lbs.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment will be required (e.g. hard-hat, safety boots, etc.)
- Hazards associated with the construction industry.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Taggart Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical or mental handicap, or financial ability.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with a Disabilities Act, we’re committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. If you require accommodation or special assistance, please send a message from this platform. Your information will be treated as confidential.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $22.00-$25.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Carpentry: 2 years (required)