Northern Zone, Colchester East Hants Health Centre
MHA NZ Psych Inpatient Unit CRH
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly PT (60% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
The Registered Nurse practices within the Nova Scotia College of Nurses, Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Nurses and the Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics, is responsible and accountable for the nursing care of an assigned group of patients and their families; provides guidance and leadership to peers and other staff; works in a collaborative relationship with colleagues, unit staff, students and members of related health disciplines.
Working as a member of an interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse will provide care to clients on the psychiatric unit, utilizing expertise in patient and family centered mental health nursing. The Registered Nurse will assess behavior, and, with the patient's collaboration, devise a care plan and implement interventions that are adapted to each patient's recovery. The RN will be available for meetings with family and community members to plan a smooth discharge and return to the community.
The Registered Nurse will facilitate group meetings, coordinate patient care and act as a member of the facility's code white team as part of their daily assignment. Strong critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, and enhanced communication skills are required to enable clients to recover to an optional level.
- Current registration or eligibility with the Nova Scotia College of Nurses (NSCN) required
- Nursing diploma required; Bachelor Degree in nursing preferred
- One year of recent/continuous work experience in a Mental Health environment preferred
- Completion of post diploma Mental Health Nursing Education preferred (i.e. completion of "Short Term Clinical Program in Mental Health Nursing" or "certificate of completion of a clinical major in Mental Health Nursing from a University" or "Psychiatric/Mental Health Certification" through the Canadian Nurses Association" or "Psychosocial Rehabilitation Program" through RNPDC)
- Current Heart & Stroke BCLS (Level C) Certification required.
- Certification in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention or willingness to obtain within 3 months of obtaining position
- Education in concurrent disorders an asset
- Willingness to obtain further education in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing as directed by manager required.
- Knowledge or experience in leading Therapeutic Group Work an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
Applicants relying on equivalent education and/or experience must demonstrate such equivalency in their applications. Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent, Part Time (60%);
days, evenings, weekends & nights
$35.2108 - $41.4848 Hourly
$42.9366 with 25 years' of RN experience)
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/