Leader Engagement and Program Officer, Full-time Contact (8 weeks)
Start Date: Open Until Filled
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, BC & Yukon is looking for a Leader Engagement and Program Officer to join our team based in Victoria, BC.
We are passionate about engaging young people and providing them with an experiential yet supportive framework to develop the skills and confidence they need to find success in life. We empower young people to utilize their passions and believe in the power of their own potential. Our Division Office in Victoria is home to a dedicated and diverse team of non-profit professionals.
This summer contract position is full-time for 8 weeks. Your work hours will be within our office hours of 9-5 Monday through Friday. The position will likely be remote-based due to the ongoing pandemic. The ideal candidate is an individual who is organized, motivated and performs well working in a remote team environment.
This is an ideal position for a student who is looking for meaningful work and experience in the charitable sector.
Roles & Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Program Coordinator and collaborating with the Division team, the Leader Engagement & Program Officer will have two core responsibilities:
1) The development of resources and materials for our Award Units with a focus on Award Leaders as an audience.
2) Support Divisional Award Units and Leaders through onboarding, training, and implementation of the Award in their areas through a variety of channels such as the Online Record Book (ORB), training workshops, online webinars, and responding to queries.
This is an exciting opportunity for youth interested in developing their skills around client management, training and development, youth empowerment, program development, digital platforms and systems, and experience working as a professional in the non-profile sector. Responsibilities include:
· Content development directed at supporting and engaging Award Leaders including surveys, tools and channels to collect feedback, testimonials, photos and quotes from our Award Leaders;
· Support and seek out the development of new Award Units within the Capital Regional District as well as within the Lower Mainland to support the goals of the Division;
· Work alongside the Program Coordinator to develop and implement training workshops, webinars and support needed for Award Leaders;
· Schedule training events and workshops with our Leaders and partners;
· Plan and orchestrate up to two leader engagement events in the region reviewing and assessing applications from youth;
· Support the Award at School initiative by assisting in the development and launch of activities as detailed in the project plan;
· Data entry using CRM as well as Online Record Book.
Duties will also include attending weekly team meetings to collaborate and set and check in on program goals, youth and leadership support, assistance with special events. This position will be strongly supported by the Program Coordinator and will report to the Program Coordinator and Executive Director on progress and goals as laid out in the workplan.
· Excellent client service skills including high quality oral and written communications, and a genuine enjoyment for meeting people of all ages and abilities,
· Excellent organizational skills with strong and consistent attention to detail,
· Confident working collaboratively as well as independently,
· Computer skills including Office, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook, (Canva experience preferred but not required),
· CRM experience (of any kind) is preferred but not required (we use DonorPerfect),
· A passion for youth empowerment,
· Creativity, curiosity, and patience approaching responsibilities and deliverables,
· A familiarity with the culture of professional non-profit organizations is preferred but not required.
· Background in Education as a field of study would be an asset but not required.
Please submit via email both your cover letter and resume in one PDF document titled with your last name and the position. In the subject line of your email please list the position you are applying for.
Email applications to Caley Hartney, Executive Director at chartney AT dukeofed.org
This position is open until filled. The position will start in June.
We are committed to diversity and accessibility in the workplace and we encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
We appreciate your application; however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
As a youth organization, all staff, contractors, and volunteers must have a successful Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check. If you do not already have one, we will pay the fee on your behalf to secure one. An offer of employment is dependent on the successful completion of this VSS Check within a week of hiring.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award is a youth empowerment and leadership framework for young people 14-24, regardless of circumstances or abilities. The Duke of Ed disrupts the crisis of low self-esteem among young people today by creating opportunities for them to grow and succeed in meaningful ways by having them set and achieve goals in four activity areas: skill development, volunteering, physical activity, and adventurous journeys in nature. We are a globally recognized standard of excellence in youth leadership and active in 138 countries around the world. We have been active in Canada since 1963 and in BC & Yukon over 15,000 youth are currently working on achieving their Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. The Duke of Ed is designed to be accessible to all youth regardless of circumstances or abilities – all they require is the desire to set goals and work to achieve them. In BC & Yukon this has translated into engagement initiatives with inner city, rural, low income, new immigrant, Aboriginal, Northern youth, and youth with diverse-abilities. Through these partnerships, we work to ensure that the Duke of Ed empowers all youth to utilize their passions and to believe in the power of their own potential. For more information about the Award, please visit www.dukeofed.org/bc
- Work from home opportunities
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Temporarily due to COVID-19