Bunzl is one of the world’s largest and most advanced distribution companies. Our global head office is in London, U.K. and we operate in 29 countries around the world.
We are one of the fastest growing B2B companies in Canada and provide over 45,000 Canadian businesses with the food and retail packaging, cleaning and hygiene products, safety and industrial supplies they need to keep their businesses running, every day (www.bunzlcanada.ca).
We are looking for a full-time Developer/Systems Analyst to join our Information Technology team based in Burlington, Ontario.
Role Summary: Developer/Systems Analyst
As a Developer/Systems Analyst, you will be joining a team of developers and programmers who are passionate about IT systems, software development and different programming environments. You must have a high level of technical expertise and clear insights into current business practices in wholesale distribution or related industries that you can apply for our proprietary ERP system.
As a Developer/Systems Analyst, you will be expected to have a working knowledge of programming, event-based programming, as well as solid analytical skills. Ideally you learn old and new programming languages quickly and are open to both legacy and newer technologies.
Working on several different IT/ERP systems within this organization. There is a combination of fourth generation languages (4GL)/object-orientated programming and legacy 3GL programming on a variety of hardware platforms, so there will be a need to be able to adapt to a variety of different IT programmatic situations.
- Examining existing IT systems and business models
- Mapping and documenting differences and similarities between multiple legacy systems
- Analyzing systems requirements for the present and future
- Liaising with internal managers and external client
- Translating client or department requirements into highly specified project briefs
- Identifying options for potential solutions and assessing them for both technical and business suitability
- Conducting requirements analysis and preparing specific proposals for modified or replacement systems
- Producing project feasibility and costing reports
- Presenting proposals to management
- Drawing up, supervising and documenting testing schedules for complete systems
- Undertaking product development, taking a lead with programming
- Implementing, configuring and testing solutions
- working closely with colleagues, other developers, testers and a variety of end users to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction;
- overseeing implementation of new systems including data migration;
- supporting users on change control and UAT testing;
- Broad knowledge of hardware, system software and programming languages
- The ability to learn quickly
- The ability to contribute to a team effort
- A logical approach to problem solving
- Good interpersonal and client-handling skills with the ability to manage expectations and explain technical detail
- Business awareness
- A methodical, investigative and inquisitive mind
- Presentation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Planning and negotiating skills
- Initiative and self-confidence
Programming skills and areas of special interest to Bunzl include:
- Lansa development tools - Visual Lansa, Lansa for the Web;
- Cobol and/or RPG;
- Visual Basic, C++, Java or similar languages;
- iSeries (AS/400) development environment;
- SQL knowledge;
- Web-based technologies.
- Familiar with Active Directory, Exchange, and DNS
- College diploma or University degree in the field of computer science, information systems, or software engineering, and 6 - 10 years equivalent work experience
Job Type: Full-time
- systems analyst: 6 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)