Position: Home Support Worker – part-time
Positive Living Niagara is looking for a Home Support Worker to assist individuals affected by HIV to remain living independently by providing personal support, end of life care, assistance in developing life skills and building social networks in a supportive and non-judgmental working environment based on harm reduction practices and philosophies. They will participate in the work of achieving the agency's vision and mission statements though implementing the program’s work plan.
- To adhere to the Mission Statement and Policy and Procedures of Positive Living Niagara and Supportive Housing.
- To represent Positive Living Niagara in a professional manner.
- To promote teamwork both within Positive Living Niagara and when working with partnering Community Support Service Organizations
- To provide emotional and practical supports that assist clients to remain living independently
- To document and record accurately client information in the automated systems
- To assist in the implementation of the clients support plans and to monitor their progress
- To provide the required personal support that will maintain or improve the health and well-being of clients
- To continue to develop professional skills that will improve the quality of the services provided
- To provide supportive counseling to clients.
- To assist or provide, as required, client services as outlined in the client's support plan
- To provide personal care and end of life client care as required.
- Respond to emerging situations in a timely fashion using professional judgment to guide practice.
- Maintain appropriate client staff relationships at all times.
- Transport and provide emotional support to clients in obtaining required health care and other supports.
- To communicate with family, friends and other community support services as directed.
- Contribute to the decision-making process in the development of, and revisions to, the client's support plan through observing and reporting changes in the client’s service delivery needs or health concerns.
- Provide ongoing support to co-workers through both verbal shift change reports, entries in the agency's computer system, daily logs and client file.
- Assist and advocate for clients on issues relating to the delivery of services.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and safe workplace that will promote continuing health and safety for both staff and clients.
- Perform a variety of delegated acts as taught by regulated professionals.
- Participate in team meetings and case conferences as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A degree or diploma by a recognized educational institution in Ontario in personal care or social services.
- A driver’s license in good standing with a reliable vehicle.
- Experience in personal and supportive care of marginalized populations.
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrate initiative
- Ability to show leadership
- Written and oral skills
- Good communication skills
- Accurate documenting, reporting and recording with knowledge of computers
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Experience with those affected or living with HIV/AIDS
- French language skills are an asset
Forward Resume and Cover Letter to Vanessa Fyfe by December 1st, 2019
No telephone calls please
Positive Living Niagara welcomes applications from people with disabilities including HIV. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted
Job Type: Part-time
- Personal Support: 1 year (Required)