This is a National position that is being posted in both our Vancouver, BC and Toronto, Ontario based head offices. This position will report into the General Manager of our Grocery West location.
Responsible for planning, directing and overseeing all Canadian inbound and outbound freight functions to ensure service is performed in accordance with specifications. Coordinates closely with each DC to obtain information and investigate and resolve problems. Ensures Company’s professional reputation is maintained and that superior customer service is provided. Schedules, assigns, supervises and appraises personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
- Ensures Logistics Coordinators schedule inbound and outbound freight utilizing available equipment and time while maximizing cost savings.
- Establishes and monitors freight minimums with the buyers and ensure minimums are adhered to.
- Provides timely accurate and complete reports as required (maintains Promo/Flyer info spreadsheet, reviews overdue reports “daily work with direct reports to expedite”, etc.).
- Assume responsibility for assisting in the development and implementation of effective Transportation planning, budgeting, policies and procedures.
- Monitors all promotional activity purchase orders.
- Maintains communications with operations associates at each DC.
- Advises the Accounting Department of all freight claim issues and review claims forwarded by Accounting. Minimizes exposure by reviewing carriers with high claims ratios.
- Reviews, approves and verifies all freight bills relating to assigned lanes.
- Maintains insurance rating and other ICC related files for all carriers.
- Acts as a point person for shuttle programs.
- Ensures daily updates from all carriers are received and processed by inbound associates.
- Executes established goals and ensure that Transportation policies support and complement Company strategies, mission, vision and values.
- Prepare annual budget, negotiate freight rates and administration of freight payments.
- Meet regularly with customers to obtain information and feedback on the Company’s performance, receives complaints and addresses customers’ needs and expectations.
- Ensures that excellent, professional communications are maintained with customers. Ensures that all customers’ expectations are met or exceeded.
- Ensures on-time delivery of products or services and effective communications with respective buyers. Notifies buyers of all delays as reported by inbound associates.
- Monitors utilization of assigned equipment (backhaul) and carrier available equipment.
- Reviews pallet program, suggests modifications of program as needed.
- Serves as a back-up for the responsibilities of direct reports as needed.
- Stays informed of changing industry procedures, policies and trends.
- Performs other job duties as required.
- Bachelor degree preferred and/or equivalent experience in a related field
- 5+ years of related experience including people management experience
- System Implementation preferred
- Understands Routing software and delivery schedules
- Knowledge of transportation equipment and vehicle operations
- Well organized and attentive to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to train and supervise
- Ability to operate PC using Microsoft Office Applications, Word, Excel and Access
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Freight Inbound: 3 years (Preferred)
- People Management: 1 year (Preferred)