Northstar Scaffold/Sky-Hi has an opportunity is for an experienced Health and Safety Manager to come in and manage all aspects of employee health and safety, compliance and continuous improvement, to advance Northstar Scaffold/Sky-Hi Scaffold Inc health and safety programs, processes and systems. The position is part of the leadership team, reporting directly to the President/CEO, and is responsible for activities and actions that maximize the safety of all employees, contractors and visitors and adherence to environmental performance standards.
You have a minimum of 5-10 years of experience in managing health and safety onsite within the construction industry.
· You are a certified member under the Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations with experience working on a mid to large scale construction site.
· You possess a National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) certificate.
· You have a College degree or certificate in Occupational Health and Safety, or a related topic would be a benefit.
· You have experience with COR process certification would be an advantage
· You must be willing to travel across Canada to our various locations
· Have a valid driver license in good standing.
Location: Toronto ON or Burnaby BC (Candidate choice)
· Lead site health and safety improvement plan development and execution for all our locations (Toronto ON, Ottawa ON, Winnipeg MB, Burnaby BC, Campbell River BC, Quesnel BC)
· Co-Chair all the locations Safety Committee. Lead monthly plant safety meetings and safety walk-arounds. Develop and assist supervisors with content and implementation of monthly department safety meetings.
· Understand & drive COR compliance across sites. Note that Ontario locations are in process of becoming COR certified, so leading initial certification process would be key aspect of role
· Development and delivery of training programs on policies, regulations and procedures to ensure compliance with Company health and safety requirements and Local and Provincial regulations.
· Work with all Northstar location supervisors, managers and personnel, in identifying health and safety opportunities for improvement and developing and implementing corrective/preventive action plans.
· Communicate with and maintain professional relationships with Local, Provincial and Federal regulatory agency personnel.
· Review, maintain and comply with all Health and Safety regulations.
· Provide technical oversight, guidance and communication on issues involving and impacting compliance with and interpretation of local, provincial and federal health and safety regulations to site. Maintain up-to-date knowledge in all aspects of Health, Safety and regulations and compliance reporting.
· Prepare and submit all required reports, applications and requirements.
· Manage all retained Health and Safety consultants/vendors.
· Lead any required emergency response efforts.
· Conduct and document health and safety incident investigations and cause analysis events. Develop and implement required corrective/preventive action plans.
· Lead the preparation of all location’s health and safety risk assessments, PPE assessments and the development of action plans to reduce all our location health and safety risks.
· Participate with Corporate health and safety on special projects such as audits of other locations.
· Identify and manage each locations Industrial Health & Hygiene (IH) program.
· Provide health and safety change management review of all projects, and assistance for capital requests. Identify, evaluate and control proposed changes to each location that may impact the safety of the process, the safety or health of the employees and the environmental compliance and controls at the location.
· This position has no immediate supervisory responsibilities but requires collaboration with Managers, Supervisors, other location leaders and site personnel to make decisions which will positively impact regulatory compliance and employee safety and well-being.
· Assist with launch of new Swing-stage product line from a Health&Safety perspective
· Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university (preferably science, engineering or Health and Safety) and five (5) plus years of related experience.
· Experience with Health and Safety Management Systems and performance of risk assessments.
· Understanding of COR certification and audit processes
· Experience with computer applications, such as spreadsheets, word processing documents, databases, email programs and electronic data reporting systems, e.g., Microsoft applications
· Possess excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
· Possess the ability to read, analyze, and interpret governmental regulations.
· Creativity and innovation for implementation of new health and safety programs and for creating employee engagement.
· Capability of managing multiple projects and deadlines.
· Familiarity with “Working-at-Heights” hazard identification and mitigation processes
· Ability to work variable hours, be on call and travel to all our locations regularly
· Ability to wear various types of PPE in hot/humid conditions such as safety shoes, safety hardhat, safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection and safety garments as needed.
· Must have and retain a valid driver’s license in good standing.
· Ability to travel across Canada AND into U.S. (company may expand into U.S. in coming years)
Northstar Scaffold is proud to provide this unique career opportunity within a progressive environment with continuous learning and opportunity for growth, as well as a competitive compensation package.
You’ll love working at Northstar Scaffold because:
- The people. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, smart, supportive, and passionate teams – people you can be proud to work with.
- The business. Northstar Scaffold Inc is an industry leader in scaffolding and shoring solutions in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. Our motto is your build, our business.
Work for a trusted Canadian provider of scaffolding and shoring solutions since 1967 by joining Northstar Scaffold; a dynamic, ethical and forward-thinking company. Headquartered in Ontario with 4 successful operations across Canada!
Our customers have depended on us for the highest quality products, industry leading experience and a dedicated focus on safety. We pride ourselves on reliably completing jobs on time and on budget. We measure our success by the success of our customers. Your build is our business.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Accommodation for Applicants will be made during the recruitment process when requested.
- Extended health care
- Vacation & paid time off
- Dental care
- Casual dress
- Flexible working hours
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- creating & innovating implementation of new H&S programs: 5 years (Required)
- conducting & documenting H&S incident investigations: 5 years (Required)
- certified member OHSA: 4 years (Required)
- Development of Training Programs: 5 years (Required)
- H&S Management Systems & Performance Risk Assessments: 5 years (Required)
- COR Process certification: 5 years (Required)
- managing health & Safety onsite (Construction industry): 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- National Construction Safety Office (NCSO) (Required)