Central Zone, East Coast Forensic Hospital
3002120 MHA CZ ECFH Rehab Unit
Type of Employment:
Hourly FT long-assignment (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Healthcare Bargaining Unit - NSGEU
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Under the supervision and direction of the regulated health professionals, the Care Team Assistant (CTA), Provides direct, hands-on care based on the needs of the patient and/or unit. As a member of the collaborative care team, the CTA is responsible for supporting patients’ Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL). The CTA also reinforces patient and family teaching according to established guidelines and the plan of care.
- Grade XII plus completion of Continuing Care Assistant (CCA) program
- One year experience in a health care setting; mental health experience preferred
- Possesses aptitude for working in partnership with individuals living with a mental illness
- Demonstrates knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation and mental health practices
- Communicates in a culturally sensitive, non-judgmental, empathetic manner to establish therapeutic relationships with individuals and/or families
- Demonstrates effective listening skills
- Maintains BCLS, and WHMIS Certifications
- Maintains Food Handling Certificate
- Demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates an ability to work within a team environment
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, compassionate and caring attitude
- Supports the philosophy, vision and mission of the Nova Scotia Health Authority and the mental health and addictions program
- Demonstrates professionalism in attitude, dress code and behaviour
- Maintains a reliable vehicle and driver's license
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
Proof of certification will be required. Where there are no applicants with provincial certification the employer may consider candidates who are eligible to write the CCA knowledge exam and obtain certification within 90 days from their date of hire.**
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Long Assignment, Full Time (100%); 75 hours bi-weekly
Beginning as soon as possible with an effective end date of August 10, 2021
Dates are subject to change
Shifts include days, nights and weekends
Travel to various sites may be required
Care Team Assistant:
$18.5747- $20.0915 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/