Development Manager - Location: Abbotsford
BC We're Growing - Join Us!
We are a leading tech employer located in the Fraser Valley since 1990, and a Top 100 Tech Company in British Columbia, that prides itself in ensuring a work/life balance and personal growth for all of our employees. At SpeedLine, you’ll work with experienced, dedicated, fun people to create and support our innovative point of sale (POS) software products. Built on the latest cloud technologies, our products help restaurant operators and chain executives across North America succeed.
The Development Manager is primarily responsible for managing the department team members, while they build and ship quality software on time, ensuring a balance between efficiency, cost, and customer satisfaction. This position is also responsible for processes and projects, and ensures that the SpeedLine Development team has the skills, support, and environment they need to succeed. This includes reporting to and working with the Product & Senior Development Manager to contribute to and track the Product Roadmap. We offer the flexibility to work locally in our Fraser Valley office or a combination of in-office and remote.
- Extended health, dental, vision care, as well as travel and life insurance.
- Annual salary and performance reviews, with regular one-on-one coaching sessions.
- Career development, comprehensive training, and tuition reimbursement.
- Ongoing refresher training and associate programs, to support your professional growth, career path, and long-term success.
- Company support for employee wellness, fun, and giving back through Health & Wellness, and Giving committee events and initiatives.
- Onsite, digital and offsite staff social events throughout the year hosted by our Social Committee.
- Comfortable, business casual dress.
- Customize your work space or work from home where applicable.
- Employee and peer formal recognition programs.
- A dynamic team of 90+ employees with a great balance of longer tenured employees and newer team members, all of whom are excited to offer support and guidance to our new arrivals.
- End of year holiday party with meal and prizes.
- Games Room with ping pong, darts, foosball, and rod-hockey.
- Comfy, relaxing lounge with a big screen TV.
- Multiple kitchenettes convenient to each department.
- Spacious main lunch room with fully functioning kitchen (don’t just bring your lunch, make it fresh) and a balcony to enjoy your coffee or lunch outdoors.
- Free parking, employee Wi-Fi, as well as, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate
- Nearby shopping and restaurants.
Some Key Responsibilities:
- Maintain expected product delivery, support, and standards for the Development Department and its functions.
- Develop, recommend, and partner with the Product & Senior Development Manager to implement, maintain and champion strategies, goals, performance metrics, key success measures, and processes for the department.
- Manage and coordinate aspects of development projects including scoping, triaging, budgeting, distributing, leading meetings, tracking progress, communicating relevant information, and ensuring schedules are maintained.
- Lead recruiting, on-boarding, and training of new employees, as well as training initiatives for existing employees.
- Responsible for ensuring resolution of escalations received by the Development department and appropriately escalating issues impacting the Development department to the Product and Senior Development Manager.
- Manage schedules, attendance, time banks and payroll for direct reports.
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead staff to their optimum performance levels, and career development which includes evaluating performance, delivering performance reviews, conducting one-on-one and department meetings, and providing support for professional performance objectives.
- Contribute to and validate Project Charters, Requirements and Business Analysis documentation.
Skills We Require:
- Post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate program in a related field.
- Minimum two years in a software development leadership role with people and project management experience.
- Strong knowledge and experience of software development methodologies, including agile software development methodologies (e.g. lean, scum or XP) and Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Conversant in programming languages and database technology.
- Ability to effectively estimate and contribute to business and technology solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service, leadership, motivational, and team-building skills.
- Track record of developing and motivating a development team.
- Proactive and energetic personality with the ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Available to work a flexible schedule.
- Have and maintain reliable transportation.
Clearly outlining your relevant experience, please include, using PDF format only, your resume and cover letter with the subject line "Development Manager - Your Name".
No telephone inquiries please. Must be eligible to work in Canada.
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
To obtain more information and view our “Working at SpeedLine” video, visit our website at www.speedlinesolutions.com/careers.
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $80,000.00-$90,000.00 per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Abbotsford, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Software Development Leadership: 2 years (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Abbotsford, BC