Revised - Customer Service Representative
Competition posting date:
Competition closing date:
Transportation Services Department, Transit Customer Systems & Planning Service, Customer Service
8 Continuous Full time Positions - 35 hours/week
$45,421.74 to $64,431.64 annually (2019 rates of pay)
Transit Service, 1500 St. Laurent
Note- various locations- ability to work effectively in a team environment within a 24/7 shift operation.
Successful candidates should expect to work overnights, weekends, and statutory holidays, per applicable
employment legislation (including collective agreement).
Responsible for providing transit (conventional and para) customer services including:
various channels, including but not limited to:
- responding to customer enquiries, complaints and/or feedback and providing information through
telephone, in person, on-line, (web, social media) and in
- processing financial transactions for fare instruments and other products/services
- receiving and processing transportation requests and registration for Para Transpo service.
Education & Experience
Two (2) years of relevant experience in a customer service environment, providing service to the public by
telephone, in person, in writing and electronically such as a call centre and/or counter service operations.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for
stipulated academic requirements.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check to the City of Ottawa’s
Day 1 Ready – immediate requirement for language proficiency:
French oral, reading, writing required
English oral, reading, writing required
Candidates must meet language requirement for position upon hire.
- Public transit system, procedures and policies, branch and departmental responsibilities
- Call-handling protocols / etiquette
- Problem-solving and customer service practices and strategies related to serving the public
- Fares/fare eligibility
- City cash handling procedures and policies, operation of a cash register, balancing cash and preparing
- City of Ottawa geography, and transit routes and schedules
- Computer applications and databases such as: Microsoft office, Internet, SAP
- Filing and information systems
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights & duties of workers
Competencies & Skills
- Work independently and in a team setting
- High level of judgement, tact, diplomacy and problem-solving skills
- Organize, plan, multi-task and prioritize work
- Customer service sensitivity to meet diverse customer requirements
- Able to write detailed, concise and accurate descriptions of customer interactions including complaints
- Able to prepare written information including correspondence and reports in an organized, clear and
- Ability to listen, probe, and tactfully respond to client enquiries and complaints
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong data entry, keyboarding and information retrieval skills
- Possess good presentation / public speaking skills
- Ability to read, interpret and explain operating rules / procedures, maps and timetables
- Able to account for and report sales revenue
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the "Apply"
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.