Position Title: English Language Instructor - Self Employment for Newcomers (SEN) Program
Reports to: Employment Services Manager
The English Language Instructor will provide instruction and support to participants of the Self Employment for Newcomers (SEN) Program, working closely with the SEN staff team.
This is a part time position (15 hours a week) that supports 2 x 10 week program cohorts (20 weeks in total) between November 2021 and March 2022, and is likely ongoing to successive years.
Direct Client Service
- Create and sustain a safe, welcoming, and positive learning environment by demonstrating an awareness and sensitivity to clients’ lives, backgrounds and self-employment goals.
- Develop and expand the SEN ESL curriculum providing students with learning, speaking, writing, and reading opportunities with real life examples to support the content of the SEN program.
- Provide English language learning in various formats including 1-1 support, small group support, providing assistance during SEN workshops on developing a business in Canada, and providing group lessons as needed. All learning components will be customized to the needs of immigrant entrepreneurs.
- Maintain student learning records.
- Use current and appropriate media technology as a tool to deliver instruction that builds clients’ English skill.
- Work with SEN staff team to communicate regarding issues arising, participant progress and achievement of outcomes.
- Values. Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement Impact North Shore’s values of excellence, diversity, and respect
- Integrity & Ethics. Ensures integrity in personal and organizational practices. Builds a respectful and client-centered workplace
- Innovation. Thinks creatively; is open to new ideas and technologies. Is committed to developing effective and new approaches to service excellence. Is flexible and adaptable to meeting changing demands of clients, funders, and other stakeholders
- Accountability. Accepts and creates a culture of accountability; fosters personal growth; takes personal ownership. Is self-aware and demonstrates a commitment to ongoing learning and continual improvement. Assesses risk and develops risk mitigation strategies
- Engagement. Shows passion for the job and the mission of Impact North Shore
- Effective Communication. Fosters open communication, listens to others, speaks effectively, and prepares written communication so that messages are clearly understood
- Organized & Efficient. Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organized way. Follows directions and procedures and ensures deliverables are met on time
- Solid knowledge of language programming practices for immigrant adults.
- Good working knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmark, Essential skills and needs of immigrant Entrepreneurs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Language Studies or Education
- Bachelors’ Degree and TESL Canada recognized certificate or equivalent.
- Good instructional, writing, communication and organizational skills
- Experience developing and testing curricula.
- Experience in developing curriculum materials and instructing ESL to adults.
- Highly organized, considerate, and flexible.
- Experience (3-5 years) in Adult English instruction including settlement and/or community based English skills an asset
- Experience working with individuals from a diverse background
Hours: 15 hours / week
Contract: 20 weeks between November 2021 and March 2022 (renewal pending funding)
Salary Range: $30.00 - $35.00 per hour dependent on experience
Posted until filled. Resumes reviewed upon submission.
Submit cover letters and resumes.
Reference: English Language Instructor – Self Employment for Newcomers Program
Impact North Shore is an equal opportunity employer. Thank you for your interest, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Reference ID: English Language Instructor – Self Employment for Newcomers Program
Contract length: 5-6 months
Part-time hours: 15 per week
Expected start date: 2021-11-01
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $30.00-$35.00 per hour
Impact North Shore follows the guidelines of the provincial health authority and implements health and safety protocols accordingly.
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- adult english instruction: 3 years (required)
- TESL Certification (required)