The Art Gallery of Alberta is the oldest cultural institution in Alberta and the province's only solely dedicated art museum. Located in the City of Edmonton, the AGA serves the local community, the province of Alberta and plays a significant role in the cultural life of Western Canada. The AGA maintains a collection of over 6,000 works of art and presents an annual series of temporary and collection-based exhibitions with related educational, public and outreach programs.
Reporting to the Head Preparator, the Preparator will provide technical assistance for the production, presentation, preparation and maintenance of all Gallery exhibitions; and for the care and maintenance of the Gallery’s permanent collection. The Preparator will also lead the fabrication of display fixtures and be responsible for organization and maintenance of the gallery and collection facility woodshops.
- Handling and preparation of works of art to professional museums standards
- Constructing crates and gallery display fixtures
- Preparing exhibition spaces including wall building, painting, lighting, etc
- Installing of vinyl signage
- Providing audiovisual support as required
- Providing assistance to exhibiting artists and visiting curators
- Supervising of part-time staff
- Maintaining the gallery and collection facility woodshops
- Delivering, picking up and moving materials and/or works of art
- Experience working in a public art gallery, museum or related field
- Experience handling and installing various works of art
- Strong carpentry skills and attention to detail
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under general direction and within a team environment
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to perform physical work associated with preparation of exhibits
- Capacity to adapt behaviour and work methods, as needed, in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- A university or college degree in the visual arts
- Experience matting and framing
- Forklift, AWP, and/or Fall Arrest certification
This is a full-time position commencing July 15, 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please submit resumes by mail or email.
Deadline: Friday, June 7, 2019
Attn: Dani Rice, Head Preparator
Art Gallery of Alberta
2 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, AB T5J 2C1
Job Type: Full-time