You are a passionate and independently motivated individual with years of experience in your field who is driven toward contributing to efforts to mitigate climate change. You thrive in a team-oriented environment and are interested in learning a variety of skills from experienced professionals with backgrounds spanning sustainability, technology, and engineering. You are an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment.
You will be employed with Flash Forest as a Senior Plant Scientist for Biological Research and Development. As a Senior Plant Scientist, you will be researching and developing scalable seed vessel technology for native tree species from boreal and temperate environments. This role will require an analytical mind, creativity, and a foundation of plant biology, soil science, and ecology.
However, Flash Forest is a growing and dynamic company and, as such, you will be expected to complete any other duties that are assigned to you. All employees at Flash Forest are required to remain flexible in the types of work they undertake. This offer assumes that type of flexibility.
You will be working with the Biological Research & Development Team under the Team Lead to assist with meeting Flash Forest’s research and development goals. Tasks include:
- Designing and executing experiments that help develop and refine our seed vessel technology to maximize germination success for different species and environments
- Researching and curating information from primary literature sources
- Reporting, record keeping, and communicating with project stakeholders
- Assisting members of the Biological Research & Development Team and other Flash Forest staff on an as-needed basis
- PhD or MSc with 5+ years of experience in plant biology, forestry, and/or agriculture
- Experience independently designing, executing, and analyzing research experiments is a must
- Experience in soil science, plant nutrition and metabolism, and plant propagation from seed is a strong asset
- Experience with tree species is an asset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are a must; you will be working closely with various teams and individuals
- The ability to handle multiple projects at once is a must
- Experience in a start-up or fast-paced work environment is an asset but not required
Flash Forest is a reforestation company that uses aerial mapping software, drone technology, automation, ecological science, and a lot of passion to reforest post-wildfire areas at a rapid pace. We accelerate the rate of reforestation worldwide. Instead of humans on the ground, we transfer the hard labour to drones at 10 times the speed. Living in the age of technology, we can effectively harness this to restore entire ecosystems, scaling the global quest for carbon neutrality.
Flash Forest is here to tip the scales in the global ecological crisis.
With primary office locations in Mississauga and Vancouver, we are excited to have you as part of our team as we expand to the world. This role is based in our corporate headquarters in Mississauga ON, but you may be required to travel for short periods of time.
IMPACT - We started Flash Forest with the goal of offsetting enough carbon emissions to have a significant and measurable impact on climate change within the next decade.
QUALITY - We work closely with plant scientists and forestry experts and will use multispectral mapping UAV technology to select ideal planting sites and provide valuable follow up data on ecosystem health.
INCLUSIVITY - We want everyone to have a way of personally contributing to a large-scale environmental solution through an organization they can trust.
COOPERATION - We are committed to partnering with local groups, agencies, scientists, and individuals of all types to share knowledge and resources for best reforestation solutions.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent