We are seeking a creative, caring and energetic teacher’s assistant for our Sunday morning Religious Exploration (R.E.) program. This is part-time position, 2 hours per week from September through June.
The Teacher’s Assistant will assist the Director of Religious Exploration (DRE) with the delivery of programs and the supervision and care of children age 4 to 12. Our R.E. program is offered in the style of “one-room” schoolhouse, with all ages learning together. Duties may include: setting up supplies, supervising and directing small groups, offering one-on-one teaching and support as needed, clean up, and other tasks assigned by the DRE. Most programming happens on Sundays between 10:15 am and 12:15 pm, with occasional special events. The Teacher’s Assistant is welcome to, but not required, to attend services at UUCD.
- Babysitting Certificate or demonstrated experience working with children of diverse ages
- Excellent communication skills
- Current first aid certificate (or be willing to obtain)
- Availability most Sundays, September to June, from approximately 10:15 am – 12:15 pm
- The UUCD Safe Steps Policy requires that those working with children are 16 years or older.
About the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Durham (UUCD) and Unitarian Universalism:
The UUCD is an open and inclusive spiritual community that practices respect for all faiths, in addition to upholding reason, tolerance, and love. We offer a place to share questions and doubts without judgment. We are a community that practices spirituality through deep care and connection with our world and with each other. We welcome each person for who they are, and celebrate diversity of many kinds, including sexual orientation and gender identity.
Unitarian Universalists believe “we need not think alike to love alike,” and covenant instead to affirm and promote these Seven Principles:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by email.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
- childcare: 1 year (Required)