Western Forest Products has an exciting opportunity for a Nursery Supervisor / Lead Grower at our Saanich Forestry Centre on beautiful Vancouver Island.
The Nursery Supervisor/Lead Grower plays a critical role in Western’s sustainable forest management program. This role is accountable for all aspects of seedling production for over 3.5 million high quality seedlings at the Saanich Forestry Centre. Western’s integrated silviculture supply chain which includes a Seed Orchard, Nursery, and Timberlands provides a unique opportunity for a passionate and skilled grower to lead in seedling innovation through direct collaboration with the Seed Orchard Supervisor and dedicated team of Silviculture Foresters. Exciting aspects of this role include safety leadership, seedling growing, customer satisfaction, and financial management all within a culture focused on defining a higher standard.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Greenhouse allocation and optimization;
- Growing approximately 3.5 million conifer seedlings from seed and cuttings at industry competitive prices;
- All tasks associated with sowing, growing, monitoring, and lifting of seedlings;
- Procurement and management of contract seedling production to meet Western’s overall seedling needs;
- Prioritization of facility maintenance activities in collaboration with the Seed Orchard Supervisor;
- Host tours and deliver presentations fostering enthusiasm and passion for the sustainable management of our coastal forests. Interface with neighbors, government, growers, contractors, and suppliers.
Safety & Environmental Performance
- Provide leadership in safety and environmental performance by demonstrating and ensuring the adherence to company safety and sustainability processes and procedures.
- Prepare budgets, forecasts, monitor spending, and report results;
- Utilize financial data to analyze trends to support innovation and improved efficiency; and
- Identify and champion effective and innovative strategies to drive cost efficiencies.
- Provide leadership and direct supervision to improve safety and deliver high quality seedlings on time while effectively managing operational costs.
WHO YOU ARE:
Education and experience:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in horticulture, agriculture, forestry, greenhouse management or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in greenhouse growing and nursery operations is preferred;
- Conifer seedling production a definite asset but we are willing to train; and,
- Class 5 Driver’s License;
Skills, knowledge and required competencies:
- Strong planning, time management, and organization skills;
- Ability to communicate and lead employees effectively through a culture of respect and trust;
- Good working knowledge of WorkSafe and environmental regulations relevant to the nursery industry;
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS-Excel, MS-Word, and MS-Outlook;
- Ability to problem solve and analyze and work with financial data;
- Knowledge or experience working with continuous improvement processes is an asset;
- Certifications for first aid, forklifts, farm tractors, and pesticide application are assets;
- Working knowledge of tree planting projects and related BC software applications including Plant Wizard are assets.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive total rewards package, which includes competitive compensation with a pay-for-performance philosophy, employer-paid benefits, pension and other programs designed to support our employees and meet their needs. If you invest your time and talents in us, we will invest in you.
ABOUT WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS
Western Forest Products is a Canadian forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. We are committed to providing the most sustainable building products on the planet. With operations in the coastal region of British Columbia and Washington State, Western Forest Products meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering sourced from our secure access to a variety of coastal BC tree species. Our progressive approach to safe and sustainable forestry practices and large investment in manufacturing ensures the health and prosperity of our forests, communities and business for generations to come.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent