Who we are:
The Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta (CPLEA) works to improve access to justice. We provide public legal education and information, helping Albertans become aware of and understand the laws that affect their lives. Today we do it in a variety of ways . . . online, in print, face to face and on the phone. We are a strong, stable not for profit organization that has been active in Alberta for over 40 years.
What we do
- We provide general legal information online through our LawCentral, Canadian Legal FAQs and LawNow websites.
- We provide more specialized legal information online with websites dealing with specific topics (housing, condos, employment) or for specific audiences (charities, seniors, teachers, women, abuse victims, foreign brides).
- We publish LawNow, a bimonthly online magazine that relates law to everyday life.
- We research, write, design and distribute approximately 150 print publications on a wide variety of legal topics.
- We operate a reference and referral hotline.
- We conduct research and do special projects, some of which can be seen on our website www.cplea.ca.
- We do presentations for the general public.
- We provide specialized training sessions for trusted intermediaries who work with people in contact with the legal system.
The position: Educational Design & Evaluation Specialist
- This is full-time, Edmonton based position, reporting to the Executive Director.
- Duties include:
- planning, designing and analyzing our public legal education and information resources;
- directing needs assessments and environmental scans;
- making decisions about the content of CPLEA’s educational resources and programs in consultation with our team.
- designing resources that reflect an understanding of the diversity of learners and groups of learners in our target audiences;
- determining the appropriate delivery mechanism (web, print, face to face) for each resource;
- developing the content of our educational resources with the team.
- The Specialist will be responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of our individual educational resources and our education program as a whole and for preparing internal and external evaluation reports as required.
Who we are looking for:
- You have a graduate degree in Education or a field relevant to the position.
- You have a high level of understanding of print based, web-based and face to face instruction.
- You have a high level of competency with normal office software. It would be an advantage, but not required, to have experience with design software.
- You have worked in a senior position where you have been responsible for educational design.
- You are a great writer, preferably with experience in plain language writing.
- You have a thorough understanding of existing and emerging technologies and their use for teaching in a non-classroom based environment.
- You have evaluation expertise and experience.
- A law degree is not expected or required for this position.
We are looking for an education professional who wants to be in leadership position on a small, collegial team doing important work. Salary is negotiable and competitive for the non-profit sector, with a benefits package.
If you think you would be a good fit, please reply by email indicating your salary expectations and attaching your resume and a short writing sample with the subject line “Educational Design & Evaluation Specialist - Attention: Executive Director"
Only applicants being considered will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Master's Degree (Required)
- Edmonton, AB (Preferred)
- English (Required)