The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) is a leader in health care regulation. As the governing body for nearly 10,000 dentists in Ontario, our mission is to act in the public interest by putting patients first. We are committed to transparency, accessibility, openness and fairness in all our work.
Decision Writer (15-month contract)
Bring your excellent legal expertise and organizational skills to our team as a Decision Writer in the College’s Professional Conduct and Regulatory Affairs (PCRA) department.
The PCRA department responds to inquiries from the public about dental concerns, investigates the conduct of dentists, provides support to the College’s Inquiries, Complaints and Reports (ICR) Committee and Discipline Committee in their decision-making roles, and enforces committee decisions.
The Decision Writer is responsible for supporting the College’s ICR Committee in its review and disposition of complaints and reports. You will ensure that written reasons for decisions are accurate, clear and cogent, and stand up to review by the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE?
- Support panels of the ICR Committee in meeting their statutory obligations
- Review and analyze records of investigation for completeness for consideration by the ICR Committee
- Provide information to panels of the ICR Committee about College policies, protocols, guidelines, positions and relevant legislation
- Draft correspondence and documents at the direction of the ICR Committee, e.g. undertaking/agreements, requests for expert opinions, requests for further information, allegations and particulars of professional misconduct
- Write decisions and their reasons at the direction of the ICR Committee
- Chair case review meetings with key staff in preparation for ICR Committee meetings
- Represent the College at the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board
- Draft articles/summaries for publication on the College’s website
WHAT SKILLS AND BACKGROUND DO I NEED?
The Decision Writer requires:
- Completion of university degree in a related field (LL.B or J.D. preferred)
- Knowledge of the Regulated Health Professions Act, related legislation, and administrative tribunal procedures
- Superior writing skills and ability to synthesize and summarize large volumes of information
- Superior computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate sound judgment
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to excel in a dynamic team environment
- Highly developed interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of dental terminology an asset
HOW DO I APPLY?
Submit a cover letter, telling us why you are interested in this position and how your skills meet our needs, as well as a resume, by January 23 at 5pm.
Thank you for your interest; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Royal College of Dental Surgeons is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available upon request under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract