Responsible to: Executive Director
Location: Vancouver, BC
JustWork seeks to contract a qualified part-time bookkeeper to carry out and coordinate all financial management functions for its three social enterprises and its charitable society.
Introduction to JustWork
JustWork emerged in 2004 from the life and ministry of Grandview Calvary Baptist Church ("GCBC") in Vancouver, Canada. GCBC encouraged the development of JustWork as a way to offer assistance and hope to a growing number of people in the neighborhood who were struggling to find work.
JustWork aspires to create a healthy community where people are meaningfully and gainfully employed and where business practices embrace an ethical, social mandate. To achieve this, JustWork offers dignified, meaningful work opportunities for people facing multiple barriers to employment through operating three social enterprises: a pottery business, a renovations business and a catering business.
JustWork employ approximately 30 part-time employees, each contributing their skills and gifts to the community. Efforts are focused on hiring target employees with significant barriers to employment. As a result, the nature of employment is long-term, rather than short-term transitional employment. The flexible nature of the work allows target employees to overcome their challenges and flourish in life in the long run.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed, including regular payroll, expense reimbursements, deposits, and month-end reporting processes
- Prepare financial statements, business activity reports, and forecasts; develop financial reporting to the Executive Director and Treasurer, as well as assist in any filing of annual BC society report
- Provide information and advice to Executive Director and Treasurer on bookkeeping systems as well as provide consultation on issues and systems when required
- Develop project-based financial reports for the separate business lines
- Monitor financial details to ensure that legal requirements are met
- Assist the Executive Director and Board Treasurer to prepare a comprehensive annual budget
- Track and monitor sources of income, accounts receivable and payable, including grants, fundraising, and partnership income
- Manage and improve business systems to properly track financial transactions and progress towards budget
- Liaise with auditor and provide necessary information for audits
- Manage the completion of all relevant financial documents required by government authorities (accounts, tax & WorkSafeBC, etc.)
- Identify any risks and mitigation procedures to support sound financial management Work as required with the auditor to process financial adjustments at yearend audit
- Maintain financial related filing system
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of the following skills, knowledge, experience:
Experience & Skillset
- Strong track record of contracted bookkeeping services in for-profit businesses, preferably complemented with some experience providing bookkeeping services for charitable entities.
- A track record of “scaling up” an organization and/or business unit
- Familiar with accounting practices for non-profit organizations and businesses
- Experience managing third-party accounting services – especially Xero and Quickbooks
- Good verbal and written communication skills, listening skills and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team setting, with an emphasis on self-initiative, patience, empathy, maturity and tact
- Ability to work in an environment where a diversity of people and situations is encountered
- Certified Professional Bookkeeper designation preferred. A combination of related education or training and work experience may be considered.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Agree with and/or support the Statement on JustWork as a Christian Organization
- Must obtain Criminal Record Check in accordance with BC Criminal Records Review Program
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $22.00 to $25.00 /hour
- bookkeeping: 3 years (Preferred)
- Xero or Quickbooks: 2 years (Preferred)