Cherelyn Williams Licensed Interior Designis a firm known for its unique and functional designs for dental, medical and veterinary clinics. We’re currently looking for the newest member of our team: Interior Designer & Project Manager. This is a contract positionwith hours of work determined by operational needs and expected to average 30 hours/week.
You will need to have your own laptop/computer and AutoCAD program. You will manage the firm’s design projects and contribute as a member of the design team. This is an opportunity for an individual who is looking to work on a varied project portfolio with commercial clientele where no two projects are the same. You need access to a reliable vehicle and a valid Class 5 drivers license. You will work from your home office and at the project site.
This position has a flexible start date by February 28, 2019. This is a contract position for an incorporated sub-contractor. Candidates will be responsible for providing own WCB & professional liability insurance, if required.
60-75% Project Management:
- Well-developed time management, issue management, change management and project management skills that are required to undertake multiple projects – focused on ensuring project timelines are completed as scheduled through to final project completion
- Prior project management experience in interior design or construction related projects
- Ability to conduct site visits
- Demonstrated experience in renovations, new construction or commercial property management.
- Problem solving skills, attention to detail, and motivation to learn - proactive, ability to effectively identify problem areas and generate solutions when necessary to resolve issues.
- Proven ability to prioritize in order to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to create systems to effectively manage projects and maintain accurate and detailed project records
- Complete construction administration from tender through project close out – liaise with consultants, suppliers & trades as necessary
- Respond to client enquiries through phone / email. Generating solutions in a timely manner so not to delay project.
- Deal with general contractor and subtrades daily for project updates and addressing any issues that arise.
- Keep lead designer up to date on all project changes
- Assertive, yet personable and professional with very good written and verbal communication skills, very well-organized & effective problem-solver.
- Proven ability to monitor and coordinate the work of outside consultants, interact with contractors and sub-trades, and coordinate the work of other disciplines (e.g. Mechanical, Electrical, etc.)
- Reporting to Owner on daily basis - in terms of project direction, timeline, design related issues and project changes.
25 - 40% Interior Design:
- Minimum 5 years Canadian experience doing challenging commercial work on multiple projects at one time
- Ready to expand your skill-set and take on a high level of accountability with client projects and leave the design work to others
- Detailed knowledge of current products and technologies, fixtures and equipment, architectural/interior finishes, lighting, art, and colour schemes and focus on needs of dental, medical and veterinary office clients
- Diploma, degree or applied degree in Interior Design or Architecture Technology with a background in Project Management. (Preferred)
- Skilled with software technology: AutoCAD, Microsoft Office (incl. Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Adobe Pro, SketchUp (or other 3D application) & has strong presentation skills.
- Skilled for developing presentations including vision boards and hand sketches (digital presentations, design narrative and other presentations to convey concept, design vision, etc.)
- Must be able to create detailed drawings from an image
- Develop detailed drawing packages including plans, schedules and detailed drawings required for permit applications, tender and construction
- Ability to read and understand the requirements for a full set of plans of an interior space – life safety, building codes, and other technical drawings & details, finishes and interior building materials, specifications, codes, administration and business practices of interior design.
You’ll want to meet us if:
- You are disciplined and motivated to work from your home office
- You are looking for a long-term relationship with a well established Licensed Interior Design firm
- You live in the greater Calgary area
- You enjoy a fast-paced environment
- You can work under pressure
How to Apply:
Please submit a portfolio including commercial projects along with your resume and salary expectation. Only candidates who submit a portfolio and/or link to a portfolio will be considered. Please, no calls.
Job Type: Contract
- Interior Design: 5 years (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Preferred)
- Class 5 Drivers License (Required)