PLEASE NOTE: Due to the developing impact of COVID-19, our top priority is ensuring that our employees are safe and policies and procedures are being developed to effectively handle our response to the outbreak. As a result, our average response time to new applicants will be longer than normal, but we still welcome and look forward to reviewing new applications.
CAN-AK is a well-established, fast growing company that specializes in high velocity oil flushes, chemical clean & fluid purification for client facilities & equipment throughout Canada.
We currently have an opening for a self starter, ambitious HSE Lead who encompasses a variety of tasks to be completed in a timely and efficient manner. The HSE Lead must have the ability to manage the safety program while balancing the commercial needs of the business. Safety cannot be managed in isolation of the rest of the business if it is to be successful. It needs to sit alongside other critical business functions, serving the business aims rather than being considered as a burdensome compliance activity.
The HSE Lead will complete visits to active sites on a frequent basis, performing inspections at each location, conducting orientations with new workers, supporting the Project Managers on site with health and safety documentation and reporting including safety meetings, hazard assessments, critical task lists, updates to ERP, etc.
CAN-AK Industrial Services would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
CAN-AK Industrial Services Inc is an equal opportunity employer.
Assist in and/or perform:
- Develop and maintain the Health and Safety Program. Complete the COR Audit Action Plan and ensure that the company is ready for all internal and external Audits.
- Update and maintain the requirements for Complyworks, ISNetworld, Avetta and any other statistical data required by the job bid process. Support the sales team by ensuring that statistical data and sales one pager is up to date. Support sales team with quotes ensuring all safety aspects are considered.
- Responsible for coaching, mentoring and implementation of the HS&E program by providing direction, support to Management and Project Teams.
- Provide support to the projects by maintaining a consistent presence to the field performing site visits and coordinating with the Project Manager and Shift Supervisor. This will also encompass all activities which occur in CAN-AK’s Fort Saskatchewan Shop.
- Ensure that all incidents are reported immediately.
- Participate and assist Project Managers and Shift Supervisors in the investigation of incidents to determine root cause, and corrective actions where necessary.
- Ensure incident corrective actions are followed up on and completed.
- Verifying field staff training and competencies; consult the Project Management Team and General Manager for compliance and action plan.
- Review safety obligations of the clients and ensure they are carried out as per the terms of the agreement and communicated to the Project Managers and Shift Supervisors.
- Ensure new hires are orientated to CAN-AK, and all required documentation is completed accurately and maintained.
- Ensure safety boards with postings including but not limited to: Health and safety policy, inspection and audit results, project hazard assessment, location of first aid, etc. are maintained and current.
- Ensure that the following material is available and on site: CAN-AK’s HS&E Manual, the applicable provincial legislation and regulations, site safety inspection forms, observation forms, fall protection plans etc.
- Complete audits of field hazard assessments and provide guidance and training when required.
- Prepare for and participate in audits such as COR and/or internal company audits.
- Communicate, coach and assist the field staff to ensure that all safety expectations are understood and met.
- Coordinate a regular meeting with Management and Project Team to review issues, trends and upcoming conditions or events.
- Understand the requirements that must be upheld within the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation, and Code. The ability to discuss safety issues with workers and come to solutions on how to do the job in a safe manner.
- Must be able to manage a safety program that will not only provide confidence that the company is managing safety risks, and therefore protecting the companies approval to operate, but the program will also provide greater, proactive decision-making power.
- Good communication skills & ability to understand concise directions, follow procedures, and converse with staff/clients.
- Must be a practical problem solver.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Self-confidence to take the initiative to approach workers, Project Managers, and Management with regards to health and safety issues.
- Achievement-motivated to work with CAN-AK Industrial Services to set and surpass realistic goals.
- 6+ years in the Oil & Gas Industry
- 6+ years experience in an occupational health and safety role
- Standard First Aid, or higher
- NCSO, or equivalent
- Incident Investigation training
- Ability to assist in the completion of COR audits through Energy Safety Canada or Alberta Construction Safety Association
- Must be solution oriented with a positive can-do work attitude.
- Strong desire to learn.
- Possess a valid class 5 drivers license with a clean drivers abstract.
- Able to pass 7 panel pre-employment Drug & Alcohol screening
- Must be either a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident in Canada.
Reference ID: FT-2021-004
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Profit sharing
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- HSE lead: 6 years (preferred)
- Class 5 Driver License and clean Driver Abstract (preferred)
- First Aid, WHMIS, CSTS, H2S, etc. (preferred)
Willingness to travel: