With these two words, Vertex makes the promise that we will always be versatile in developing solutions to our clients’ unique needs and that we will always demonstrate expertise in our designated fields.
Since 1962, Vertex has been a leading North American provider of environmental services. With over 50 years of expertise, Vertex helps clients achieve their development goals through our versatile suite of services. From the initial site selection, consultation and regulatory approval, through the construction, operation and maintenance phases, to conclusion and environmental cleanup, Vertex offers a diverse range of services throughout the life cycle of our clients’ projects.
Vertex is currently accepting applications for full-time, permanent Wildlife Biologist to join our team in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The successful candidate will have experience coordinating and participating in field-based projects. Additional experience in other environmental disciplines (e.g. contaminated sites, soil assessments, construction monitoring, wetlands, forestry) is an asset. This role reports to the Team Lead, Wildlife and Aquatics. If you are passionate about wildlife and the environment and looking to collaborate with top environmental talent, we welcome the opportunity to connect with you!
- Post-secondary degree or technical diploma from an accredited college, university or technical school in environmental science or other related discipline
- Professional Biologist (P.Biol) with the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB); or equivalent
- Portrays problem solving skills, especially in remote field situations
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the wildlife field required
- Experience working with multiple regulatory agencies in Western Canada
- Experience in regulatory approvals under EAP requirements for upstream oil and gas facilities and linear disturbances (e.g. pipelines and transmission lines) considered an asset
- Familiarity with applicable wildlife acts, legislation, guidelines, and species inventories
- Strong wildlife identification skills with emphasis on bird identification (visual and auditory)
- Experience with species at risk, amphibians, ungulates (caribou), small and large mammals considered an asset
- Willingness to work in the field for extended periods of time; willingness to travel within Western Canada, as required
- Excellent communication and technical reporting skills
- Experience preparing RFPs, proposals, and management plans
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to pay close attention to detail when collecting data and writing reports
- Strong team player but also adept at working independently
- Willingness to work on non-wildlife related work
- Organizing and implementing field studies to analyze and monitor wildlife, and sensitive species
- Field assessments and office reporting for regulatory approval of proposed upstream oil and gas disturbances as well as transmission line and highway corridors
- Analyzing and interpreting data, and writing scientific reports
- Recommending operating conditions for industrial activities to minimize environmental damage
- Train, mentor and supervise the work of biological technicians and other staff
- Communicate and work with clients during construction activities as the work pertains to sensitive wildlife species
- Communicate with clients regarding work specific tasks
- Recommending mitigation for industrial activities to minimize wildlife impacts
- This position will be based out of our Sherwood Park, Alberta office with travel.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
- Potential for Employee RRSP Profit Sharing
- Learning and development opportunities
- A culture of performance and accountability
- A supportive and positive team environment
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
When applying please indicate the following information on your application:
Job Requisition: 003-285
Job Title: Wildlife Biologist
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. MST on September 30, 2020. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Reference ID: 003-285
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Extended Health Care
- RRSP Match
- 10 Hour Shift
- 12 Hour Shift
- wildlife field: 5 years (Required)
- wildlife identification : 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Sherwood Park, AB (Required)