The Fraser River Discovery Centre (FRDC), in New Westminster BC, is an interpretive centre and not-for-profit organization that presents stories of the living, working Fraser River and their contributions to the life, history, and future of British Columbia through exhibits, education programs, and special events. The FRDC is currently seeking one (1) Programs Assistant to join our small, dynamic team of staff and volunteers this summer.
Reporting to the Education Coordinator, the Programs Assistant is responsible for assisting with visitor reception and day to day operations of the Fraser River Discovery Centre, front desk and gift shop operations, upcoming summer camps and other education events, and maintaining the safety and security of the FRDC facility.
- Providing essential front desk coverage including opening and closing procedures, greeting and answering visitor inquiries, managing phone lines and voicemail, recording visitor statistics, processing cash register sales, and ensuring reception area is presentable and welcoming
- Assist with FRDC’s general communication and event promotion (posting on our online event calendars and social media apps)
- Facilitate Summer Camps and other Education events under the guidance of the FRDC’s Education Coordinator and Education Assistant
- Assist with setup, take-down and general operations of programs, camps, events, facility rentals and/or meetings
- Maintain the safety and security of the FRDC exhibits and facility for all visitors, staff, and volunteers
- Perform other duties as required
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Must be able to pass a Criminal Record Check
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Minimum 1-2 years of office administration/reception experience, cash handling and retail procedures
- Proven skills in customer service and interacting with a diverse range of audiences (schoolchildren, seniors, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong abilities in time management, attention to detail, organization, and multitasking
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other computer skills (including social media)
- Serving It Right Certificate is an asset
- Emergency First Aid with CPR C and AED
RATE: $14.75/hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation
DURATION: July 3rd, 2019 to August 27th, 2019
WORKDAYS: Friday to Tuesday, 9:30am-5:00pm. Occasional evening shifts may be required. Appropriate notice will be given if schedule must change.
HOURS: 35 hours per week.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 19th, 2019. Please submit résumé and cover letter to Janine McNeilly, Education Coordinator.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $14.75 /hour
- Cash Handling: 1 year (Required)
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Required)
- English (Required)