The position is located at the New Westminster campus. Hours of work: up to a maximum of 20 hours/week. The work terms for this position are:
1. Fall 2021:
September 7, 2021 – December 18, 2021
2. Winter 2022:
January 4, 2022 – April 27, 2022
3. Summer 2022:
May 9, 2022 – August 20, 2022
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Biology Lab Student Assistants assist Biology Lab staff in the clean-up, preparation of materials and maintenance of the lab. Students may be tasked with caring for biology lab animals, tending plants in the Green Houses, general lab and working in microbiology labs.
- Assist with lab set-up and clean up
- Animal husbandry: feeding, cleaning, and general care
- Green House work: watering, pruning, pest management
- Prepare solutions and chemicals for weekly labs under supervision
- Build weekly kits for labs
- Teaching fellow students about animal care
- After training, work in microbiology labs preparing media, sterilizing equipment and working with bacteria under supervision
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- Students who have completed first and/or second year Biology preferred.
Domestic students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College throughout the work term; OR
2. The domestic student must have been enrolled in, and maintained, a minimum of one or more (3 credit) courses at Douglas College in the term immediately preceding the work term and has indicated an intention to enroll at the college in the term immediately following the work term; OR
3. The domestic student must be enrolled in, and maintain a minimum of two or more (3 credit) courses at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C. throughout the work term
International students must meet ONE of the following criteria, to be eligible to work as a Student Assistant/Student Research Assistant:
1. The international student is enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College, throughout the academic year; OR
2. The international student, who is not a Douglas College student, but is an international student at another accredited public post-secondary institution in B.C., has a valid Study Permit that has the notation – “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186 (F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.” Proof of enrollment in full-time studies from the other post-secondary institution is required.
An original copy of a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and an original Study Permit are required by law before commencing work at Douglas College.
Qualified Douglas College students meeting the above criteria will be given first preference over students of other qualifying institutions.