TEMPORARY FULL TIME
8 HOUR SHIFTS; DAY/EVENING; WEEKENDS (Subject to change)
LAKERIDGE HEALTH AJAX/PICKERING & OSHAWA (LHAP Primary Site)
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Pathology Assistant to join our team. In this position you will have the opportunity to use your extensive knowledge and expertise to help us develop, implement and maintain innovative Laboratory Department practices that will meet the current and future needs of Lakeridge Health.
The Pathologist's assistant will work under the supervision of the Supervisor of Pathology, Pathologist and the Medical Director. The Pathologist Assistant will report to the Laboratory Manager for scheduling or other HR related items. The Pathologist Assistant is responsible for describing and dictating the gross findings of specimens using the available protocol, taking representative sections for histological processes; assisting and performing ancillary special procedures on specimens and organs; other duties as assigned.
- Baccalaureate degree in Science with advance level courses in anatomy and physiology and/or Health Care Professional with experience in Histopathology;
- Registered with the Canadian Association of Pathologists (CAP-ACP);
- Undergraduate university degree an asset;
- Certified or in process of certification with the Canadian Certification Council of Pathologists' Assistans (CCCPA);
- Certification with ASCP, an asset;
- Prior experience as a Pathologist Assistant preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a direct assistant to the Pathologists;
- Strong computer and computer assisted technology skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Body Substance Precautions, PPE and lab hygiene;
- Working knowledge of safe chemical handling, storage protocols and emergency spill procedures;
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong observation skills, exceptional attention to detail to exercise sound clinical judgement;
- Cross functional duties within laboratory as required;
- Proven ability to foster a positive workplace environment within a client focused team;
- Demonstrates a commitment to ongoing education and learning;
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all service client groups, multidisciplinary teams, both internal and external stakeholders;
- Must have a satisfactory preformance record;
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Inclusion, Compassion, Innovation, Teamwork and Joy;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Lakeridge Health's comprehensive safety program and practices including staff, patient, and environmental safety and participation in regular in-service education in this area; and
- Demonstrated pattern of good attendance and work record
$31.87 - $42.71 per hour
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Lakeridge Health thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are qualified for the above position, please apply online:
The terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Collective Agreement between the Hospital and the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU Bargaining Unit).
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under Lakeridge Health's Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.