Health Sciences North (HSN) is a regional resource and referral centre for over 600,000 residents across northeastern Ontario. It features state-of-the-
art technology with over 3,900 employees, 800 volunteers and a medical, dental and midwifery complement of 260. HSN has become a Research and
Academic Health Science Centre affiliated with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine and the Advanced Medical Research Institute of Canada.
Toll free / Sans frais www.hsnsudbury.ca
Payroll System Analyst
Posting #: 20-0034
Temporary Full-Time position (January 2020 to January 2021 with possibility
of extension or permanency)
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
A dynamic and growing health care environment awaits you in Sudbury Ontario: Canada’s
happiest city! Surrounded by provincial parks and over 200 lakes, Greater Sudbury has over
160,000 residents and is a rich mix of urban, suburban, rural and wilderness environments. Just
a one hour flight or four-hour drive from Toronto; here, you will experience the balance of a
challenging payroll career and a comfortable lifestyle, right in the heart of Northern Ontario’s
The Payroll Department at HSN is looking for an experienced payroll practitioner to join the team of
Payroll Administrators and Payroll Analysts to provide payroll services and support to HSN’s 3,800
employees and affiliated services throughout the North East. This is an exciting time to join the payroll
team as HSN is preparing to acquire a new payroll system that will enhance the payroll processes and
services provided to employees and partners. Join a team of highly dedicated payroll professionals
who work collaboratively to provide exemplary services to their clients.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of a two (2) year Diploma in a Business or
Accounting field, from an accredited college and a Certificate as a Payroll Compliance Practitioner
(PCP). We are seeking individuals with experience working in a Payroll department within a health
If you enjoy working in a team environment, solving problems and working in the health care sector,
you are encouraged to view the full job description on the HSN Careers Website.
We offer competitive salary and vacation, extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan through
Interested applicants are asked to apply directly to posting #20-0034 by January 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
on the HSN Careers Website at hsnsudbury.ca/careers. External applicants can learn more about
Sudbury by viewing the Relocating to Sudbury link on our careers portal.
Date Posted: January 8, 2020
Posting #: 20-0034
Position: Payroll System Analyst
Status: Temporary Full-Time (January 2020 to January 2021)
Site: Sudbury Outpatient Centre (SOC)
Maintain and ensure the integrity of the computerized payroll database and assist the Manager,
Payroll with operational planning, optimizing payroll processes, overseeing and carrying out
complex payroll activities, resolving related issues, and participating in payroll initiatives and
projects for all North Eastern Ontario Network (NEON) partners managed by HSN.
Under the general direction of the Manager, Payroll.
1. Create, test, implement, and manage data dictionary, attendance data templates, benefits, contracts,
direct deposit banks, earnings, job codes, payroll schedule, step table, tax table values, and
2. Verify and audit the integrity of payroll data to ensure accurate remuneration of employees in
compliance with legislation, policies, procedures, and union contracts.
3. Run audit reports, create timecards from attendance data, compute, post, and transmit payroll; collect
statistical and financial data to create specialized reports.
4. Monitor payroll and related systems to ensure information is current; coordinate system updates,
changes, testing and troubleshooting.
5. Prepare and maintain procedure manuals.
6. Process payrolls, manual cheques, severance, retirement, and grievance settlements and provide
system and technical support to other NEON Partners as required.
7. Respond to internal and external telephone and written inquiries regarding advanced payroll, benefits,
and system issues.
8. Oversee payroll activities related to pension administration, accounting matters, remittance
requirements, special deduction analysis, and payroll issues.
9. Provide day-to-day coaching, guidance and technical advice to Payroll staff.
10. Assist with payroll procedures, including data entry, year-end processes, and reconciliations.
11. Provide payroll related costing for Medical personnel as required.
12. Implement all collective agreement updates as directed by HR, including dictionary and employee profile
changes to vacation, benefits, base rates, premiums, and withholdings.
13. Compile and balance the T4 batches and ensure year-to-date (YTD) employee data flows correctly to
the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA); format T4’s and balance YTD registers to source remittance and
statement of account for current source deduction by CRA taxation number.
14. Compile and balance the Member Data Collection (MDC) for the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
(HOOPP); create database of rebates and collections, issue statements to employees advising of
repayment plans, and input data in system for processing.
15. Compile Salary Disclosure report and annual earnings and assist the Manager, Payroll with yearly
16. Compile Fiscal Year End reports for year-end accounting purposes.
17. Determine and align improvement projects with HSN’s Strategic Plan; monitor and adjust to achieve
18. Participate in education and training specific to current, relevant federal and provincial health and safety
legislation, standards and guidelines.
19. Educate and promote health, safety and wellness in the work place.
20. Represent the department or program on various committees and in meetings as required.
21. Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
1. Minimum of a two (2) year Diploma in a Business or Accounting field, from an accredited college.
2. Certification as a Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) is required.
3. Ministry of Labour “Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” training certificate is required.
1. Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in a Payroll department within a health care environment.
1. Demonstrated advanced knowledge of the concepts, principles, practices and techniques pertaining to
the payroll function.
2. Demonstrated strong organizational skills and decision making skills to address day-to-day payroll
3. Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills to ensure accuracy of payroll processing.
4. Demonstrated ability to coordinate, test, and implement changes to the data dictionaries.
5. Demonstrated ability to lead system projects, implementation, and enhancements.
6. Demonstrated knowledge of a computerized payroll system, and payroll statutory and legislative
7. Demonstrated training, experience or utilization of lean methodology for process improvement.
8. Demonstrated ability to independently identify issues, plan improvements, measure success and
9. Demonstrated excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office software, e.g. Word, Excel,
Power Point and Outlook and patient information systems.
10. Demonstrated superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
11. Demonstrated ability to manage routine correspondence, multiple tasks/projects, diversified workload
and rapidly changing priorities and challenging deadlines.
12. Demonstrated discretion and maturity when handling confidential information.
13. Demonstrated commitment to the safety of co-workers and patients.
1. Successful Criminal Record Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC) is required.
2. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
3. Demonstrated professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
4. Demonstrated positive work record and excellent attendance record.
5. Ability to meet the physical and sensory demands of the job.
Ability to travel between local sites.
Selection Process: Candidates will be selected for this position on the basis
of their skill, ability, experience and qualifications as
identified in the resume and completed Application Form
submitted. The Hospital reserves the right to conduct a
formal interview where required.
Bilingualism is an Asset
N.B. Applications for this position must be submitted to the Human Resources Department before 1600 hours
on January 22, 2020 .