Canada Learning Code seeks to grow our Code Mobile Team in Sudbury. Join our fleet of 14 code mobiles, a computer lab on wheels, complete with all the tools needed to host pop-up workshops in communities big and small across the country!
Canada Learning Code is Canada's leading national charity championing digital literacy education. Placing a special emphasis on women, girls, people with disabilities, Indigenous youth and newcomers, Canada Learning Code is proud to work from coast to coast to make sure that all Canadians have access to the knowledge they need to prosper in our digital world. Originally founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code. Today, Canada Learning Code operates in over 35 communities across the country, driving results through program design and delivery, strategic industry and public partnerships, research and advocacy. To date, the organization has reached over 250,000 learners through an in-person experience.
Canada Learning Code is anEqual Opportunity Employerand values diversity and inclusion within all our teams (employees and volunteers alike). We are committed to continuing to diversify our Teams across Canada. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups.
We are looking for an energetic person, passionate about tech and education, to join our team as a Code Mobile Communication Lead
About the RoleOur Code Mobile Communications Lead will ensure that we deliver inspiring educational experiences with our Code Mobile and that we reach or exceed our learner goals across all of our programs. If we develop unique local partnerships and build our community of educators and learners across the region, our Code Mobile Communications Lead will have done their job well.
- Deliver coding and tech programs to learners of all ages through our beginner-friendly workshops at schools, libraries, community centres, and more!
- Coordinate visits and plan regional trips for the Code Mobile to ensure that we’re reaching our communities of focus
- Lead all visit communications end-to-end -- from initial outreach to potential leads, to post-experience follow up emails and soliciting feedback surveys with community partners
- Be the main point of contact for each event partner and ensure that the team knows where they need to go, what the needs of the event are so that execution is flawless.
- Participate in the delivery of workshops and events as a mentor and lead instructor in support of your team’s Education Lead
- Support national communications and marketing by participating in social media, public relations, blogging, and external communications
- Consistently capture the events and trip activities in photographs and videos
- Coordinate and participate in local media coverage to develop the Code Mobile’s public presence in your region
- Ensure participants are learning, enjoying our programs, and would attend an experience with the Code Mobile again in the future
- Develop strong and unique local partnerships to establish the Code Mobile’s programs in your region
- Support event partners in promoting their events, as needed. This might be helping with registration efforts, finding venues and more
- Manage volunteer recruitment, as needed, and support volunteers to ensure their success during our experiences
- Collaborate with Canada Learning Code’s Chapters to ensure that the Code Mobile is leveraging our broader team
- Step into all team member roles, whether that is driving the truck, leading a workshop or managing inventory!
Ultimately, this role will be shaped by the person who fills it -- you will help determine what strategies and efforts are required to get the job done. The position will require you to be personable, self-directed, creative, and flexible. We are looking for someone who has displayed strong interpersonal skills and organizational capabilities throughout their career to date, and who has brought an entrepreneurial flair to every endeavour that they have undertaken.
- You have a G Class Drivers License. This is an absolute must.
- It would be an asset if you have experience in leadership roles with youth or adults - mentoring, teaching, coaching, ideally teaching in educational and/or classroom environments
- You have strong interpersonal communication skills and love the social side of work
- You have strong customer service skills and a community-focused attitude
- You have impeccable time-management, planning and organizing skills
- You might have some brand ambassador experience
- You might have event coordination experience
- You are a flexible team player and confident in asking the right questions and being engaged to find positive solutions
- You are incredibly self-directed and need little supervision
- You love to use online tools and technology to help you be effective and efficient
- You consider yourself tech-savvy. You know your way around Google Tools such as Drive, Calendar and Hangouts You can expect that these role will be both fun and challenging. You will help shape the role and what it takes for you to be successful
Not technical? No problem.The first little while in this role will be a technical “crash course”, getting you trained on basic coding, computational thinking principles, and tools we use in our programming.
Work Hours and EnvironmentThis is a full-time position with hours that vary week-to-week and day-to-day, relating the programming schedule (which you create and manage!). This role will work primarily on the road with the Code Mobile and in community and event spaces.
Some evening and weekend work will be required. Some travel will be required.
This role reports to our Code Mobile Program Delivery Manager!
Contract LengthThis is a contract that begins as soon as possible and ends December 31, 2019.
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
All positions at our organization include the following perks & benefits:
- 15 days of vacation annually
- Up to 10 Personal Emergency Leave days per calendar year
- Lieu Days for additional days worked, such as attending weekend and evening events or meetings
- Extra time off (usually one week) during downtime in December
- A professional development scholarship fund
- Group benefits including medical and dental
- Extended pregnancy & parental benefits
- The opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
- Be part of a growing team that is changing the digital literacy education industry in a big way
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- G Class Driver's Licence (Preferred)