Senior Coordinator, CPD
The Canadian Ophthalmological Society (COS) is the national, recognized authority on eye and vision care in Canada. As eye physicians and surgeons, we are committed to assuring the provision of optimal medical and surgical eye care for all Canadians by promoting excellence in ophthalmology and by providing services to support our members in practice. Our membership includes over 1149 ophthalmologists and 220 ophthalmology residents. We work collaboratively with government, other national and international specialty societies, our academic communities (ACUPO), our provincial partners and affiliates and other eye care professionals and patient groups to advocate for health policy in Canada in the area of eye and vision health.
Please note: This position is located in Ottawa, ON. While the COS team is currently working remotely during the pandemic, when it is safe to do so, there are expectations for this position to perform certain tasks on site at the COS office.
The Canadian Ophthalmological Society (COS) is the principal national, public voice for ophthalmology in Canada and the recognized authority on eye and vision care. Our mission is to strive toward the provision of optimal medical and surgical eye care for all Canadians by promoting excellence in ophthalmology and by providing services to support our members in practice. As the national membership organization representing the Eye Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, we are an affiliate of the Canadian Medical Association (CMA).
COS works to improve eye and vision care standards for all Canadians through the work of its Board of Directors, Councils and Committees, and ties with national and international ophthalmological and eye care organizations. Our membership includes over 900 ophthalmologists and 200 ophthalmology residents.
As an Accredited Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Provider, as designated by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC), the COS is mandated to develop high quality and ethically responsible CPD opportunities for Canadian ophthalmologists. Working in collaboration with physician organizations, universities, and industry partners, COS develops and approves CPD activities based on the educational needs of its members and according to the accreditation standards of the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program of the RCPSC.
Reporting to the Director, CPD, the Senior Coordinator, CPD, provides a variety of program coordination services as a member of a cross-functional team. Primary responsibilities include the coordination of the Surgical Skills Transfer Courses, abstract submission and review process for the COS Annual Meeting, COS Awards of Excellence and the Sally Letson Symposium scientific program, as well as support of other key CPD initiatives, including the COS Annual Meeting, co-developed programs and review of accreditation applications. The Senior Coordinator, CPD, is a leadership position in the organization and would be ideal for an individual who likes to drive projects forward and who works well in a fast-paced, multi-project environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the primary staff partner to the Surgical Skills Transfer Courses (STCs) Chair and to the Course Directors and Course Instructors
- Serves as primary staff partner to Chair of the Adjudication Committee for the COS Awards for Excellence in Ophthalmic Research
- Serves as the primary staff partner to the Chair(s), Sally Letson Symposium
- Coordinates educational programs and activities including support of scientific planning committee from program planning through to activity delivery; faculty coordination, teleconference calls, agenda development, accreditation review, external stakeholder communication, promotions, evaluation development and review, expense reimbursement, fund stewardship, and program reporting
- Supports delivery of educational activities including coordination of room set-up, audio visual requirements, faculty preparation, equipment shipping, preparing handouts and signage
- Coordinate ophthalmology simulation education program at Annual Meeting (STCs), working with physician leads to deliver 6-7 courses per year
- Procures in-kind and purchased equipment from industry partners and other key stakeholders for wetlab simulation courses (STCs)
- Coordinates abstract submission and review process for the COS Annual Meeting oral, poster and surgical videos; including abstract management system, coordinating with volunteer reviewers, collating abstract booklets, acceptance and rejection and appeals process, as necessary
- Coordinates poster presentations at the Annual Meeting
- Supports the development of online educational modules
- Upholds high-quality standard of CPD activities through coordination of evaluation processes, event management database, registration and promotions
- Develops educational activity promotional material, both digital and print
- Coordinates RFP processes and manages contracts with suppliers
- Supports the development of grant proposals, as necessary
- Maintains up-to-date policies and guidelines for abstract review and submission process, STC program development, Sally Letson Symposium and co-developed programs
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on accreditation standards as per the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program of the RCPSC
- Reviews and approves Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada MOC Program accreditation applications
- Assists with budgeting for CPD programs
- Other responsibilities may be assigned, as necessary
Qualifications and Skills
- Post-secondary degree and/or 5 years of professional level experience in medium-sized enterprises that interface with multiple stakeholders; ideally within a not-for-profit environment
- Bilingualism is considered an asset (French and English)
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills with the capability of working closely and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrates sound judgment in determining appropriate course of action quickly (including when to escalate issues for resolution)
- Maintains a strong focus on customer-service and builds positive relationships with all stakeholders
- Knowledge of governance policies and procedures coupled with demonstrated experience in managing and supporting national volunteer-led committees
- Impeccable organizational, planning and project management skills
- Able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks with accuracy and thoroughness
- Ability to adapt to flexible work schedules and changing job priorities, while meeting deadlines
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite Products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook
- Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, maturity and professionalism
- Strong team player committed to delivering the best results leveraging cross-functional expertise and innovation
This is a permanent, full-time position. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required. Some travel is required.
The COS is a high-performance organization, committed to the pursuit of excellence. Each member of the team is responsible for contributing to a culture of excellence and to adding to the member experience by increasing COS’ relevance and its value-add proposition to our members and to key stakeholders.
We offer a competitive annual salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
COS is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We support inclusivity and oppose discrimination based on (but not limited to) religion, race, citizenship, country or ethnic origin, language, age, political affiliation or opinion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, cognitive or physical ability, and economic status.
COS welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply, please submit a detailed resume and a covering letter with salary expectations.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Reference ID: EDUCCOORD1
Expected start date: 2021-11-08
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Temporarily due to COVID-19