Ancillary Services provides a wide range of professionally managed campus services and amenities to enhance the student experience and support York University's mission, vision and priorities. With a commitment to sustainability, equity, diversity and inclusion, Ancillary Services works with internal and external partners to provide exceptional experiences and enhance the quality of campus life in alignment with the University's core values.York University Bookstore (YUB) provides many essential services to the University community. In addition to being an industry leader in the provision of learning materials, YUB fosters campus engagement by offering a world-class collection of ethically sourced campus branded products, general interest books and other items. The majority of students now prefer to purchase learning materials in a digital format and the upward trend towards digital is expected to continue. YUB is a leader in the digital delivery of learning materials in Canada.The Business Development Manager, Digital Engagement role is a dynamic and innovative role focused on business development in the digital space. The role requires experience with building business relationships in the book industry, experience with digital delivery, and the ability to work at different levels, across the University, to articulate, influence, and drive this growing program. The role is responsible for developing, managing, and achieving the overall strategy, and major milestones, for the Digital Textbook business stream for YUB.
Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of education & experience
5 years' experience with business development in the textbook and/or learning materials industry in either a campus retail setting or higher education publisher/distributor.
Experience presenting to or collaborating with post-secondary faculty and senior level administrators in a business development or sales capacity.
Experience working in a large complex organisation, analyzing and expanding business operations towards sustained growth
- Understanding of digital delivery for higher education learning materials.
- Knowledge of textbook industry, including types of course materials, publishers, and trends.
- Knowledge of the current campus retail environment.
- Knowledge of campus delivery solutions for e-books (ie. Willo Labs and Campus E-Bookstore) is an asset
- Delivers service-excellence.
- Tech savvy with ability to teach and train others.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain trust.
- Strong team player, able to work collaboratively with colleagues across the University and externally.
- High sense of urgency.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Excellent written and presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to work on own initiative and to deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Office 365 applications.
- Proficiency in integrated business management and CRM software.
- Exceptional ability to analyze various market trends and consumer behavior.
- Respects diversity and promotes inclusion in the workplace, contributes to an inclusive and diverse team-based, positive work environment. Recognizes diversity of abilities and adapt content, tone, medium, and style to audience to be inclusive.
- Committed to continuous learning and skill building in diversity, inclusive and cultural competence
- Dynamic environment which encourages and fosters new approaches and ideas.
- Occasional work may be required outside of regular business hours on evenings or weekends
York implemented a revised CPM Compensation Framework in 2019. The Framework is a salary grid consisting of 6 or 8 steps (depending on job grade) which is reviewed annually with possible adjustments, and a lump sum Performance Based Recognition Award. Employees will receive the grid adjustment and depending on performance, eligible permanent employees may move to the next step of the grid and may receive a lump sum Performance Based Recognition Award.Visit the CPM Compensation page on the HR Website to find out more about York's CPM Compensation Program.
The University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including, but not limited to women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities (racialized), Indigenous Peoples and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation. York University is committed to a positive, supportive and inclusive environment.
York University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by York University regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
We are committed to enhancing our environmentally and socially responsible practices for the benefit of all members of the York community. Our long term perspective recognizes our responsibility to be innovators and to continually work as a community to reduce our ecological impact.
York University employees must apply to jobs through the Employee Career Portal - YU Hire. If you are a current York University employee and/or are using your rights under a collective agreement to view and/or apply to jobs, you MUST log into YU Hire to access the York University Employee Career Portal.
Applications must be received by 11:55 pm EST on the posted deadline date, if applicable.