Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
Western’s Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry is a leading Canadian centre of outstanding education and research shaping health and dental care for the next generation. The Schulich Dentistry team strives to obtain international recognition through excellence in dental education, research and patient care. To foster that vision, Schulich Dentistry develops the knowledge and skills in dental professionals to provide exemplary care to the diverse communities that we serve and to influence the future of undergraduate and postgraduate dental education through scholarly inquiry, innovation and research.
The Manager will oversee the administrative, human resources, financial and logistical functions of Continuing Dental Education (CDE) within the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry. The Manager will assist with the alignment of resources to best support the achievement of CDE program objectives and facilitate the budget development and monitoring and program marketing. The Manager also works collaboratively with the Academic Lead, CDE to develop the strategic direction for the unit, plan annual program offerings and identify business development opportunities to support the growth of programming, revenue and impact. In addition, this role contributes to the design of the annual program offerings while ensuring the successful implementation of all aspects of a program. The Manager provides expertise regarding program design, admissions, student academic issues and other related policies and procedures and assists with the development of communications and marketing materials to enhance the reputation and awareness of the program.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Education, Health or other related field
- 5 years' experience managing administrative functions in a complex office environment
- Experience managing and overseeing staff and projects, experience with business development and event management/marketing
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of dental terminology
- Previous work experience in an academic environment developing, implementing and interpreting academic policies and procedures
- Ability to adapt quickly to emerging priorities, while managing multiple competing priorities
- Leadership skills with the ability to develop shared vision to lead employees to excellence
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the dental community
- Ability to ensure expenditures and resources are within allotments, and to make appropriate modifications when required
- Ability to plan and manage events of various sizes; familiarity with large scale events an asset
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Discretion, tact and maturity to deal with highly confidential subjects or issues
- A continuing quality improvement approach to evaluation and program development
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to evaluate issues, recognize potential problems and take action to proactively resolve issues
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- Oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on proposal development and delivering presentations, ability to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, provide a rationale for action and with an ability to complete detailed analytics and reports
- Familiarity or previous experience with intellectual property management
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Flexibility to work outside of regular business hours and willingness to travel within Southwestern Ontario
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.