Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
- Identifies and evaluates through risk analysis, the potential for loss arising from exposures that may affect the corporation, such as loss of or damage to physical assets, financial impacts and legal liabilities to the company, or third party stakeholders.
- Conducts project risk reviews at various stages of design, and at a minimum, conducts annual site / operational risk reviews to identify, evaluate and mitigate potential loss exposures, identify hazards and determine compliance or possible non-compliance of various codes, standards and regulations, including building, fire, electrical, and safety.
- Recommends solutions to coordinate programs towards minimizing or eliminating exposures that would give rise to injuries, illnesses, deaths or financial losses.
- Provides direction and input into accident-prevention and loss-control measures and programs for incorporation into operational policies of the organization. Promotes high level of Loss Control practices and methodologies and maintains Loss Control updates on the internal Risk Group Website.
- Works collaboratively with Operations to establish robust preventative maintenance programs and establish agreed upon Standards related to electrical, mechanical, and OEM equipment programs.
- Assists the Director, Risk, Security & Loss Control with the direction and coordination of reviews of operations’ emergency services and aides in providing resources, support and training for improvement.
- Liaises with outside organizations, such as fire departments, mutual aid societies and rescue teams to assure ongoing updated information exchange and mutual assistance.
- Evaluates technical and scientific publications concerned with loss control best practices and risk management programs as well as participates in activities of related professional organizations to update knowledge of risk management developments.
- Calculates and compiles Estimated Maximum Losses for the company, its partnerships and stakeholders using techniques designed within the Risk Management Program.
- Works closely with project teams on loss prevention and protection issues related to expansions, construction, or new projects. Proactively solicits updates and changes internally.
- Reviews and provides recommendations regarding liability exposures at Operations.
- Provides ongoing maintenance, oversight and guidance on Teck’s Aviation Standards.
- Consults with Operations on behalf of the Risk Group in claims situations. May be responsible for handling claims files including working with Underwriter’s claims representatives and independent adjusters.
- Assists others, internal and external to the Risk Group, with the development and delivery of training programs and providing guidance to Operations in practicing effective Risk Management.
- Generates a Risk Management Loss Control Bulletins and educational reviews for distribution to loss prevention personnel every two months.
- Contributes to a Loss Control Technical Library of publications towards relevant subject matter and large loss lessons.
- In conjunction with others, internal and external to the Risk Group, actively participates in a semi-annual review of Operational Risk Registers and provides contribution to Key Risk Documents for quarterly and annual reporting to senior management.
- In-depth working knowledge of Provincial and National Building and Fire Codes, and high level understanding of National Electrical Code.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a Loss Control function within commercial or industrial environment.
- Advanced technical knowledge of NFPA and related fire prevention and protection practices, including automatic sprinkler systems.
- Advanced knowledge of building construction and classifications, industrial hazards, and large scale mining operations.
- Fundamental understanding of Property and Liability exposures.
- Strong interpersonal, coaching, and training skills.
- Good listening skills in order to understand exposures and explain technical terms to Operations.
- Demonstrate eagerness for continuous improvement and willingness to take on additional responsibilities at an advanced level.
- Proactively build and maintain relationships within various levels of the organization.
- Availability for extensive travel to operational sites.
- Flexibility to be accessible to internal customers after regular office hours.
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and provide a positive attitude towards change.
- Knowledge of physical security and access control practices would be an asset.
- Professional Engineer designation an asset but not required.
- Spanish language skills not mandatory, but an asset.
- Good physical condition including the ability to work at high altitude.
- Valid driver’s license.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the ninth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
Job Type: Permanent