Building healthy communities through outstanding care, innovative partnerships, and amazing people.
Join our team and together we will make progress on our Strategic Goals:
Forge a new path to meet the changing needs of our growing communities
Champion a culture of exemplary care and deliver clinical excellence
Create an environment where the best experiences happen
Own our role to improve the system
Through new partnerships, a relentless focus on quality and sustainability, and a dedication to the best patient and provider experience, Southlake will improve the health of our communities and shape the future of healthcare.
The Anesthesia Assistant (AA) works as a member of the Anesthesia Care Team, providing clinical care and assistance to the Department of Anesthesia in areas such as the Eye Institute, Operating Room (OR), Post Anesthetic care Unit (PACU), Pre Admission Facility, Surgical Day Care, Regional Room, Birthing Unit, Diagnostic Imaging, Endoscopy, Cardiac Program and all other related areas where anesthetic services are required. The Anesthesia Assistant will do so in accordance with the professional standards, hospital policies, medical directives and physician orders.
Skills & Abilities
- Minimum of one (1) year of AA experience is preferred
- 2 years Critical Care experience required
- Certified Clinical Anesthesia certificate required
- Demonstrated proficiency with pre-anesthetic preparation, induction, maintenance, and alteration of anesthesia, administration of adjunctive treatment, emergence and continuity of care into and during time in PACU
- Demonstrated proficiency in airway management and manual ventilation with and without an established advanced airway (ETT and/or LMA)
- Demonstrated proficiency in operation of mechanical ventilator including those on the anesthesia delivery unit
- Demonstrated proficiency in intravenous line insertion and arterial line insertion
- Demonstrated proficiency with point of care testing
- Current Blood Module certifications
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated advanced ability to assess patient responses to care during anesthesia
- Demonstrated excellent and effective communication skills using all modalities. Able to communicate effectively with patients, families and colleagues
- Demonstrated excellent team collaboration and leadership including in continuing education of staff and students
- Graduate of an accredited Respiratory Therapy Program or Nursing Program required
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario or College of Nurses of Ontario required
- Successful completion of an accredited Anesthesia Assistant Program
- Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support ACLS required
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification an asset
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department. Successful candidates will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination (two doses) from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or other authorized source directly to the Occupational Health and Safety department. In the event that you are unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected under the Human Rights Code, you may submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation to determine if you are exempt from this requirement to the recruitment team. A recruitment representative may follow up with you for further information if necessary.
At Southlake, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve, including those with disabilities. Southlake is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
It is the responsibility of all Southlake employees to work in a safe manner and promote health and safety in the workplace.
- Provides various supervised general anesthetic care for patients in various perioperative settings
- Provides anesthetic sedation care for ambulatory outpatient procedures
- Demonstrates clinical expertise and critical thinking to formulate appropriate care plan throughout perioperative anesthetic care
- Provides after hours support in various perioperative settings
- Provides appropriate monitoring, interventions and clinical management commensurate with accepted certification and scope of practice
- Practices in accordance with the standards of practice and guidelines as outlined by the Canadian Anesthesiologists Society (CAS)
- Participates in teaching of students during their OR clinical rotation