Company operating name: Vega (registered legal name is Sequel Naturals ULC)
Business address: 3001 Wayburne Dr #101, Burnaby, British Columbia, V5G 4W3
Location(s) of work (local area, city or town): 3001 Wayburne Dr #101, Burnaby, British Columbia, V5G 4W3
Title of the position: President, Vega
Terms of employment: full-time, permanent
Wage: Range from $350-450K CAD annually
Benefits package: May include, but is not limited to: Discretionary STI (short-term incentive) program with target set at 40% of base wage, discretionary LTI (long-term incentive) program, relocation assistance, car allowance, extended health benefits, employer covered MSP, employer matching 401k or RRSP, flexible time off, education allowance ($1k per annum), fitness allowance ($1k per annum), green travel incentive ($70/month) or parking pass, onsite chef and lunch program (taxable benefit), onsite gym with daily classes.
Language of work: English
Reporting to the President, Danone US, the President, Vega, will be responsible for leading a $145 million business in a highly compelling and innovative category. S/he will be responsible for providing clear vision, consistency and focus to the Vega Senior Leadership team. The President will define the strategy and manage the leadership team at a peak level with focus on execution and excellence to drive both the base business, as well as determining innovation strategies to take the brands into new categories and occasions.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic General Manager, dynamic brand builder, and sales leader who embraces the fast-paced/quick-changing marketplace of Plant Based products. S/he will be an entrepreneurial leader who can broaden and diversify Vega’s customer base, drive organic growth and improve financial results to regain Vega’s leadership position in the market. The President will have clear commercial acumen and general management savvy and will have a strong blend of strategic vision, sales leadership, operational marketing / commercial experience and innovation. S/he will have a track record of successful brand management, strong financial acumen / P&L savvy, and strong general management fundamentals. The President will also have learned and grown from a wide range of both successes and failures, as they will have the courage to go after bold goals, as well as embracing the changing environments in the CPG and Food & Beverage industries. This role will prototype new brand concepts that can address unmet consumer needs and that can be launched in the next 18 months. S/he will have full P&L responsibility for this $145 Million business, with growth goals of $300 million in the next two to three years by re-establishing critical relationships with key customers and potentially entering new distribution channels.
The President will have drive and high energy with a strong bias for action. S/he will pair an aggressive growth mindset with a collaborative, influence-driven work style. S/He will be a quick study who has an extraordinary ability to handle ambiguity and a creative approach to problem solving. The President will lead by example and will have a reputation for driving positive change. Further, he/she will be an inspirational leader, team player and team builder and will excel at partnering and influencing decision making at all levels of the organization.
General Management: Own the Strategy, Drive the P&L, Build the Team:
- Lead vision and strategy for the Vega business and deliver strategy, targets and growth aspirations. Including overall brand portfolio, innovation, sales and distribution strategies, customer and consumer & shopper strategy. Set clear goals and objectives, including annual operating plans and direct oversight of go-to-market operations (marketing mix & related spend, brand targets & plans), sales and supply chain.
- Manage the Business Unit P&L to deliver solid and sustainable business growth, and balance sheet / cash flow to deliver healthy business fundamentals; ensure cross-functional alignment to strategic objectives and that plans are in place to deliver on those objectives.
Develop Leadership & Collaborative Culture:
- Build and lead a culture within Danone (“Vegatopians”): inspire Belief and Trust. Able to understand and motivate a largely Gen Y/Z Millennial workforce with a personal passion for the “lifestyle” that Vega represents (healthy living-eating / active lifestyle / sustainability). Develop an engaged, high performing team with bench strength for succession planning; Mentor and coach direct reports to build skills. Inspire the senior management team to develop a collaborative and creative working culture and empowering workplace.
Modern Marketing: Boldly Build and Steward the Vega Brand:
- Drive Bold, innovative brand building strategies and navigate the matrixed Danone organization: establish value-added ways of working with DNA leadership and Danone Global teams. Build and foster an environment of brand building excellence, building upon Vega’s brand reputation with a focus on assortment and new product development.
- Develop a healthy and growth-oriented Portfolio, balancing established category leaders and a steady pipeline of innovative products and concepts to drive overall portfolio product energy and vitality, defining and maintaining the overall brand vision and strategic growth initiatives for Vega.
- Balance digital and traditional distribution channels to drive brand awareness, consideration, trial and affinity/allegiance.
- Education: undergraduate degree in Business Management, Marketing or Finance/Economics
- At least 15 years of progressive experience within the consumer packaged goods industry
- At least 20 years of Sales & Marketing, Brand Management, and Innovation experience
- Education: MBA with emphasis in Marketing or Finance
- General management experience with full P&L ownership, as well as cross-functional leadership responsibility
- Prior experience accelerating growth within a stagnant category such as Sport Nutrition
- Prior Sales and/or Marketing experience in the Plant Based Food & Beverage industry
- Direct experience working in a highly matrixed, global company
- Ability to make strategic choices about how to manage and grow a brand by the development of a clear, aligned strategy that was executed with a concise set of priorities and appropriate action plans that delivered successful results
- Ability to inspire, communicate effectively, and influence others
- Strong team leadership and people management skills
- Ability to influence at the highest levels, whether that be C-Suite, Board of Directors, in Top-to-Top Customer Meetings, etc.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Bonus scheme
- On-site parking
- Casual dress
- Wellness programs
- Company events & social hours
- Company car
- Education reimbursement
- Subsidised commuter solution
- Disability insurance
- Company pension
- Vacation & paid time off
- Discounted/free food
- Parental leave
- Employee assistance programs
Reference ID: GM001
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $350,000.00 to $450,000.00 /year
- Temporarily due to COVID-19