Posting Date: June 1 2020
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Housing Support Worker (2 positions). As the Housing Support Worker, you will be responsible for providing support for community members who are experiencing homelessness as part of Atlohsa’s Rapid Rehousing program. Using a wholistic Indigenous-led approach to principles of Harm Reduction and Housing First, the successful applicant will offer compassionate and assertive care and support to community members who may be experiencing homelessness, social stigma, mental health imbalance, trauma, violence and substance use.
Role and Responsibility
The primary role of the Housing Support Worker is to assist Indigenous community members experiencing homelessness to integrate back into the community using an Indigenous culture-based housing stability approach. Working in close collaboration with the City of London and community partner agencies to support a Coordinated Access approach, the Housing Support Worker will provide in-home supports to moderate acuity program referrals. The Housing Support Worker provides a warm, welcoming and culturally safe approach while fostering a sense of family and community with program participants and community members. The Housing Support Worker uses a team-based approach to case management and will use relevant assessments (VI SPDAT; SPDAT; NWA) to base goals on the strengths, abilities, needs and preferences of program participants. The Housing Support Worker will be familiar with motivational interviewing and coaching skills for learning and achievement of activities such as budgeting, personal hygiene, chores, socialization etc. This may also include providing lay counselling and proactively intervening when crisis or conflict arises. The Housing Support Worker will record accurate and detailed shift notes, be proficient in the use of HIFIS, and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding community members who are supported through Atlohsa’s Rapid Rehousing program.
· Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
· Current knowledge of Indigenous community services and resources
· Understanding of Indigenous homelessness
· Experience with working with marginalized individuals
· Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction
· Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics, community development and other innovative approaches
· Understanding of cultural safety and an awareness of its impact on practice
· Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
· Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workload demands in fast paced environment
· Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with others in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
· Current Vulnerable Sector check required
· Current Driver’s license and clean driving abstract
Applicants of Indigenous Ancestry preferred.
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Full-time contract until December 31 2020; start date July 1 2020.
CLOSING DATE: June 12 2020
REMUNERATION: Competitive compensation and benefits package based on qualifications.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave
Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contract length: 6 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Support Care: 1 year (Preferred)