Business Systems Analyst, Software Test Lead, Excluded
Information Technology, MAXIMUS Canada
In & Out of Service
MAXIMUS Canada is an industry leader in the provisioning of products and services to support the delivery of government services in North America and internationally. With operations across Canada and around the globe, MAXIMUS provides innovative, practical and meaningful solutions to help government programs and services function more effectively and efficiently.
We are constantly assessing new technology, processes and methods of delivering services to the citizens of Canada. With our expertise in program information management, claims processing, contact centre services, document processing and information technology, we are positioned for significant growth.
MAXIMUS Canada offers competitive market-based salaries, comprehensive employer-paid benefits and a defined-benefit pension plan or a Group RSP with employer-matching contributions, for eligible employees. Our people also get some great perks too, such as employee appreciation events throughout the year, along with a supportive results-oriented work environment.
Join us here in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia to experience the best of the West Coast lifestyle. You will work in an environment that will challenge you and reward your achievements. Your downtime can be spent exploring all the West Coast has to offer – scenic beauty, culinary experiences, cultural events and outdoor activities. We have it all! Located in the heart of downtown, our location offers easy access to every amenity.
MAXIMUS Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
At MAXIMUS Canada, we believe that our culture strengthens our commitment to Helping Government Serve the People. We foster a culture that respects and values individual contributions and differences. At MAXIMUS Canada we believe in the following four core values:
Our customers' business needs inform everything we do. We start by developing relationships built on trust and respect. We listen, and incorporate their diverse experience into our services and solutions, and we show our understanding with clear communication.
With decades of experience delivering government programs, we balance tried and tested processes with a desire for continuous improvement. We take the time to plan and benchmark our performance – it's the path to success.
Results and Delivery
Great results depend on setting high, measurable standards of excellence and achieving the numbers. We challenge each other and hold one another accountable to our commitments.
A Great Place to Work
MAXIMUS Canada promotes a challenging work environment, empowering our employees to get the job done. If you want to work in an environment that recognizes and rewards accomplishments while caring about each other and the communities we serve, this could be the place for you.
The Pharmaceutical Services Segment is a part of the MAXIMUS Canada IT department. The Pharmaceutical Services team is responsible for information management and information technology processes and supporting technical applications in the PharmaCare domain on behalf of our client, the B.C. Ministry of Health.
The team provides full cycle of the application management services in the PharmaCare business domain including development of new solutions and integration of COTS products, as well as Production Support and maintenance functions such as system enhancements and bug fixes.
A key component of the PharmaCare domain is PharmaNet, the provincial Drug Information and Pharmacy Claims and Payments system. PharmaNet is a 24x7 system which provides access to a centralized repository of patient medication profiles to authorized health care practitioners. All community pharmacies in B.C. connect to PharmaNet, as well as a large number of community practitioner offices, hospitals and emergency departments.
The Pharmaceutical Services team Business Systems Analysts and Testers work with their counterparts in the Development, Infrastructure, PMO and Operations business units to ensure PharmaNet runs smoothly and without interruption, and meets all of its Service Level Requirements.
The role of the Software Test Lead is to manage test teams. The role involves test advocacy and test planning, test execution to control quality, resource planning and management, and resolution of issues that impede the testing effort.
The Software Test Lead will assist the Test Manager, or in the absence of a Test Manager will be responsible for developing the test strategy and test plan, that will govern the testing scope, effort, methods and approach, schedule, risks, tools, environment, resources, deliverables, approval, measurements and reporting.
The Software Test Lead must be hands-on in demonstrating strategic thinking, planning and execution to provide leadership and expertise throughout the entire testing life-cycle, providing regular direction, mentorship and coaching to testing team members. The Software Test Lead will help champion the MAXIMUS approved standards for testing methodology and tool sets and may be at times asked to improve them using the most applicable industry standards and best practices to best meet customer requirements.
The Software Test lead will work collaboratively with the different leads and members from the Requirements, Development, Infrastructure, and Project Management teams to deliver quality projects.
The Software Test Lead may also assist in general testing support of production issues, managing relationships with business operations, software vendors, auditors, and other internal IT teams.
- Implementing the approved and standard testing methodology using the approved and standard testing tools
- Working with project management to meet the testing milestones and deliver high-quality solutions on time and on budget
- Working with systems analysts, developers, architects, business operations and project managers to create, maintain, track and adjust testing objectives and plans
- Contributing to project risk assessment, risk tracking items and risk mitigation actions.
- Defining and documenting test strategies, test plans, and estimates on testing effort
- Consulting with stakeholders and the project team on the design and implementation of testing activities that satisfy the test strategy and ensure sustainable product quality throughout the SDLC
- Providing advice on all aspects and types of testing including establishing metrics, applying industry best practices, and maximizing utilization of testing tools and processes to ensure quality goals are met
- Scheduling and tracking testing progress
- Communicating testing assignments, status, activities and risks
- Leading the identification, development, documentation and review of test scenarios, test scripts, test cases and test data
- Calculating and managing traceability and test coverage
- Coordinating and overseeing the execution and maintenance of test scenarios, test scripts, and test cases for products under development
- Coordinating bug triage, reporting on overall application/project health and intercede, when appropriate, with remediation efforts
- Creating a collaborative partnership with the Requirements, Development, Infrastructure, Project Leads and other project participants and actively engage in sprint activities, status meetings, etc.
- Coordinating and overseeing Business Acceptance Testing to validate the end to end business flow
- Defining the automation test strategy and approach for applicable products
- Leading the development and maintenance of automation framework guidelines and coding standards and driving consistent automated testing practices
- Coordinating the review of automation code created by automation testers to ensure compliance with coding standards.
- Tracking project execution, e.g., percent system test complete through analysis of total test cases planned versus test cases executed, successful and failed test cases execution
- Providing progress and status of all aspects of testing
- Leading, collaborating, and mentoring testing team members; sharing domain and technical knowledge with the rest of the team to continually expand the overall group capabilities
- Participating in the planning of deployments of enhancements, upgrades and major implementations and acting as key point of contact for testing aspects, providing testing services and coordinating testing resources internally and externally during releases and deployments
- Supporting the Production Support teams in addressing and mitigating production issues
- Identifying opportunities for test process improvement opportunities; looking for continuous improvement that delivers value for the external customer
- Establishing and maintaining a professional relationship with team members and stakeholders
- Aiding co-workers ensuring adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Providing support in problem resolution to resolve issues in an accurate, timely and professional manner. Escalating work flow and communication issues appropriately
- Treating all internal and external customers and team members with dignity and respect
- Providing guidance to coworkers on best practices and lessons learned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Information Technology, Computer Science, or Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience
- Relevant experience in areas of software testing including functional testing, user acceptance testing, non-functional testing including performance, usability, accessibility and scalability testing, manual and automated testing, and joint system integration testing
- Relevant experience in performing regression, connectivity, smoke, exploratory testing
- Minimum of five (5) years significant experience in a testing role that includes test strategizing, planning and estimation, as well as leading, coordinating and mentoring other test engineers in developing test scenarios and cases from requirements, collaborating with software developers and other test engineers, executing the tests, recording test results, analyzing the results to assist in defect management, and constantly working to improve the process
- Minimum of seven (7) years significant hands-on software testing experience with solid basic knowledge of quality assurance and quality control practices and methods
- Minimum of two (2) years significant experience in leading and coordinating test automation implementing automated testing solutions
- The candidate must:
o Have a proven track record of success leading and managing functional and technical software testing teams with a strong sense of quality ownership
o Have passion to lead in a role that is 50% hands-on testing and 50% leadership-based
o Be able to work both individually and with a team of testers
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Organization Skills – Extremely organized, capable of overseeing multiple projects with competing priorities
- Analytical Skills- Must be comfortable thinking both strategically and tactically working with teams, interpret data and results through critical thinking
- Communication Skills – Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate and collaborate at all levels; including internal and external team members and senior management
- Methodology: Experience implementing projects involving various methodologies including agile, traditional waterfall, DEVOPS.
- Documentation: Experience developing high level test strategy and test plan documents as well as low level tester guides to aid other test engineers in executing test scripts and cases for the specific application components
- Skills in industry-accepted testing tools. Examples: MicroFocus test suite (CaliberRM, Silk Central Test Manager, StarTeam, SilkTest, Silk Performer, Silk4J, SilkTest Workbench), SmartBear test suite (SOAPUI Pro, Test Complete), etc.
- Experience in testing web-based applications
- Technical skills in the following:
o Relational and non-relational databases such as Oracle
- Preferred skills and experience:
o Business analysis experience
o Project leading or management experience
o BI Publisher experience
o HL7 messaging and transactions
o Health insurance or Pharmacy business domain knowledge
o ISTQB Certification
o Automated browser testing tools
o Mobile testing experience on IOS and Android
o Other skills – Working knowledge of and capability with Microsoft Project, Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, Visio
Results and Delivery
- Defines appropriate goals
- Works toward achieving goals
- Articulates vision and steps for achievement
- Provides strong leadership
- Sets a good example
- Skilled decision-maker, motivator, encourager
- Acts with integrity and respect, in an open and direct manner
- Manages performance fairly and firmly
- Recognizes and rewards accomplishments
- Encourages our diverse workforce to develop and fully utilize their skills
- Promotes a challenging work environment, empowering our employees to get the job done
- Maintains confidentiality
- Offers new ideas
- Amenable to change
- Understands the balance between our capabilities, the customer’s expectations, and the parameters in which we operate.
- Uses open, honest communication to develop relationships built on trust and mutual respect
- Seeks to incorporate the experience of our diverse customers
- Builds relationships through personal credibility, as opposed to formal authority
- Works to establish and articulate vision
- Shows creativity when defining solutions
- Maintains current understanding of technical processes and equipment
- Uses technology to increase performance and productivity
- Takes the time to properly plan
- Data-driven and detail-focused
- Seeks out opportunities for continuous improvement
We will be accepting applications until 9:00pm (PST) on Thursday February 13 , 2020.
An eligibility list may be established for this role.
Please note that while all applications are appreciated, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.