Over the past 10 years, McElhanney’s Victoria branch has experienced steady growth and now has four divisions. With roughly 55 staff members, we focus on Land Surveying, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, and Bridge Engineering. While these divisions operate largely independent of one another, we have strong, collaborative relationships within our branch, and with many other branches across the firm.
We have an excellent depth of technical talent on our team and a mature client base. Our civil engineering operations cater to both public and private sector municipal and land development engineering clients. We engage local, provincial, and regional government clients on transportation bridge projects situated across British Columbia and occasionally throughout Alberta. Our environmental team provides services to contaminated site, terrestrial and aquatic biological projects. In addition, our land surveying division offers services to the South Island construction and development community, while supporting the other divisions locally.
Following our management succession plan, we have an exciting opportunity for a visionary leader to become the Branch Manager of our Victoria office. As our Branch Manager, you will lead a well-established team of consulting professionals in relatively mature markets. We are seeking a business minded professional who will help expand our local service offerings and strengthen our specialty services which are offered more broadly. The ideal applicant will be professionally connected within the greater Victoria marketplace and within the engineering consulting industry.
As a seasoned professional, you will execute strategic objectives and meet Key Performance Indicators across McElhanney’s four cornerstones of People & Communities, Clients & Partners, Processes & Technology, and Financial. To accomplish this, you will be the leader in cultivating a positive work culture, have an unmatched drive for success, and be passionate about your role as a catalyst for excellence in the branch, in the region and in the company.
In addition, you will work closely with the Regional Vice President and Division Managers to achieve operational excellence and optimize collaboration and resource sharing across the region and company. You will also work with senior staff to develop and implement strategic objectives that align with McElhanney’s Corporate Strategic Plan. The successful candidate can rely on very capable and established operational and support teams in developing a strong, cohesive, branch culture that incorporates and prioritizes our shared commitments to safety, project management excellence, and client satisfaction.
What You’ll Be Doing:
What You’ll Bring:
- Establish effective talent acquisition and retention plans, including monitoring and elevating staff performance, conducting performance management reviews, and developing employee learning plans
- Train, coach, and mentor staff to assist with professional development and foster an engaged workplace culture
- Lead business development, assist with proposal writing, and engage in industry and professional association events as a McElhanney ambassador
- Lead branch operations such as workload management, strategic planning, safety and quality management
- Act as a project management excellence champion and provide technical oversight, as needed
- Manage branch financials such as employee salaries and bonuses, annual budgets, KPIs, quarterly forecasting, and accounting oversight (invoicing and collections)
- Ensure the branch has the right people, in the right positions, doing the right things; aligned to fulfill our company purpose: ACE:: A:maze our clients, C:are for our communities, E:mpower our people
What Can We Offer You?:
- A professional accreditation in a field applicable to our business (engineering, environmental, geomatics).
- 15+ years’ experience in consulting with 5+ years of management experience, including managing financial outcomes.
- A proven track record of business development and fostering long-term client relationships particularly entering new markets, gaining new clients, and/or providing new services
- Proven track record of attracting, hiring, and training engaged teams
- Strong understanding of two or more of our areas of practice in (Bridge Engineering, Municipal infrastructure Engineering, Land development engineering, Environmental services, Geomatics/surveys)
- Exceptional project management experience with demonstrated ability to deliver client projects on time and within budget
- Competitive salary and participation in our generous Performance Bonus Plan.
- Financial assistance with relocation if applicable.
- As a professional you may have an opportunity for share ownership (subject to meeting eligibility criteria and approval – see below)
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Great benefits, including extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families either online or over the phone
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth
- Participation in our numerous programs that support our Four Cornerstones.
Victoria offers a positive working experience, great accessibility and a wide range of job opportunities. A place to call home for families and adventure-seekers alike, Victoria represents a preferred, more affordable lifestyle with favourable weather year-round. Victoria is also home to a number of regionally important employers and institutions which include:
Application Instructions:Please include the following in your application:
- The Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
- The Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Esquimalt Federal Naval Base
- The University of Victoria, Camosun College and Royal Roads University
- Regional Health Care Facilities
Deadline to Apply: February 12, 2021 12:00 PM.:
- An updated resume that is relevant to the position
- A cover letter that includes:
- How does this role at McElhanney align with your personal development goals?
- What relevant experience do you have?
- What is your vision and implementation strategy for the Victoria Branch?
- If you are an internal applicant, what are your succession plan ideas for your current role?
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.:
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers: to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about employee experience at McElhanney, visit us on Glassdoor
McElhanney is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, welcoming all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, disability, or persons who may require an accommodation, to apply.
McElhanney is aware of activities where individuals have received fraudulent job offers. Please be advised that McElhanney will not ask applicants for any form of monetary exchange at any point in the recruitment process. To learn more visit: www.mcelhanney.com/careers/fraud-warning
The disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, including to third party service providers may result in your personal information being transferred outside of Canada, including to the United States. Such transferred personal information may be subject to the laws of these other countries and the laws of other countries regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be different from the laws of Canada.