De Groot Pork Net Inc. is a progressive, diverse, and growing farm operation, with multiple divisions and lines of business, that is looking to take its finance department to new heights of professionalism as it strives to achieve its vision and goals in collaboration with its growing team. Our Head Office, located in Stratford, Ontario, offers a friendly, small-team, family-oriented atmosphere where we seek to lead with passion, purpose, and integrity.
We are seeking a Controller to join our executive team and manage the overall provision of financial strategy, management, analysis, and reporting, for the entire organization. People are our most important asset and you’ll be the one to ensure we have accurate, detailed, and timely financial information which allows the owners and executive team to make sound, strategic business decisions to realize our established mission and objectives. Actively monitoring the company’s financial health, providing insight and recommendations, and planning for the future are vital aspects of this role.
This position requires 35 hours per week and we are pleased to offer flexibility in work schedule and a competitive compensation package. The Controller will work as part of the executive team and will report directly to the owners.
- Planning for the company's direction and financial future in collaboration with other executives and the owners
- Develop and implement financial strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall business strategy
- Support current and future business needs through business analysis, short- and long-term forecasting including scenario testing and sensitivity analysis, budgeting, variance analysis, tax planning, and cash flow management
- Contribute value to the organization by driving productivity, efficiency, and profitability improvements
- Prepare and analyze monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial statements and operating results, and recommend further courses of action
- Develop and monitor the overall financial strategies, policies, procedures, and systems across the various lines of business within the organization:
- Management & supervision of accounting staff
- Management of finance department process improvements
- Management of a system of internal controls and the completion of internal control audits
- Conducting regular audits of expenditures, assets and liabilities, ensuring the recorded figures are verifiable and accurate
- Evaluate and manage the risks the organization is taking, weighing the comparative benefit of certain potential courses of action
- Ensure legal compliance and stewardship in all aspects of financial management and reporting
To effectively perform the duties of a Controller, individuals must be able to demonstrate a number of competencies that are essential to the position, which include:
- Integrity, accountability, and professionalism to the highest standard
- High attention to detail, accuracy, and quality
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
- Advanced problem solving, critical and analytical thinking, and strategic planning skills
- Strong skills in prioritizing, organizing, planning, and optimizing efficiency
- Dependable, adaptable, and collaborative, with the ability to improve performance through management feedback
Education, Experience, and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, or related field
- CPA designation with public accounting experience (agriculture preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in progressively responsible accounting roles
- 3+ years of experience in a supervisory accounting role
- Proficiency with QuickBooks accounting and administration
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel
- Self-starter, results-driven, able to identify issues and resolve problems
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and interpersonal skills
- knowledge of business principles and the agriculture industry
If you are a financial and business leader looking to achieve organizational excellence, engage people and teams, and make a real difference, we want to hear from you. Email your application and resume with “Controller” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We are dedicated to maintaining a respectful, fair and equitable work environment, and welcome submissions from all qualified applicants. If accommodation is required during the selection or interview process it will be available upon request. This job posting is also available in an accessible format upon request.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- supervisory accounting: 3 years (Required)
- accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)