The Municipal District of Bonnyville No. 87 invites applications for the position of Level 1 Community Peace Officer. This position will report to the Director of Public Safety and will primarily be responsible to enforce Provincial Statutes and municipal bylaws by conducting traffic patrols on over 2600 kilometers of Municipal District roads and secondary highways.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct highly visible on-foot and mobile patrols within the M.D. of Bonnyville to prevent and detect municipal bylaw and select Provincial Statute violations.
- Organize and manage investigations involving violations. Collect and store evidence according to Provincial Court Regulations.
- Assist the Director to develop public awareness programs and maintain positive public relations.
- Prepare Prosecutor Information Sheets and court briefs for charges or tickets.
- Investigate complaint history to conduct routine clerical assignments.
- Respond to complaints from the public regarding municipal bylaws and Provincial Statutes.
- Maintain liaisons with other local enforcement agencies.
- Host public education seminars.
- Conduct traffic control for emergency situations, parades, funeral processions and other activities as required.
- Maintain a high level of dress and deportment that meets the standards of the Public Safety department.
- Participate in a patrol vehicle Daily Inspection Program.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Operator’s License.
- Valid First Aid/CPR certificate.
- A minimum of three (3) years as a Police, Provincial Peace Officer or Level 1 Community Peace Officer with traffic enforcement authority or equivalent. This position requires an officer with experience conducting and enforcing traffic, including moving violations.
- Grade 12 diploma supplemented by a two year diploma in law enforcement, criminal justice or a related field. Equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience may be considered.
- Experience working with Alberta Provincial Statutes, including traffic enforcement with radar and laser, will be considered an asset.
- ASP baton, OC spray training within last 3 years.
- Completion of the Solicitor General’s Public Security Peace Officer training or equivalent.
- Completion of an approved Physical Ability Requirement Evaluation (PARE) test.
- Clear criminal record check/Enhanced Reliability screening conducted by the police of jurisdiction (proof required at time of interview).
- Computer proficiency with MOVES, Microsoft Office and knowledge of reporting software, such as Report Exec.
- Strong public relations, time management and interpersonal communication skills are required.
- Able to deal effectively with complaint investigation, conflict resolution and perform duties with minimal supervision.
Please visit http://www.md.bonnyville.ab.ca/jobs.aspxfor a full job description.
All interested applicants are invited to submit their resume, in confidence to:
Municipal District of Bonnyville No. 87
4905 – 50th Street, Bag 1010
Bonnyville, Alberta T9N 2J7
Fax: (780) 826-4524
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found
Job Type: Full-time