Soulpepper Theatre Company, Toronto’s largest theatre, is an artist-centred company that celebrates the stories that move us and the artists who tell them. Soulpepper presents vital Canadian interpretations of the classics, and commissions, translates, and develops new work, creating a home for a diverse array of artistic expression across disciplines. We share our work through a variety of platforms, engaging audiences, inspiring youth in our city, and training the next generation of theatre artists through the Soulpepper Academy. Since our inception in 1998, Soulpepper has built:
· A 12-month season of more than 600 performances
· A passionate audience of over 100,000 each year
· An artistic ensemble of 250 established and emerging theatre artists
· A paid residency program for Canadian theatre artists
· A robust portfolio of youth programs, reaching over 4,500 youth annually
· A 46,000 square foot state-of-the-art performing arts facility – the Young Centre for the Performing Arts - which anchors Toronto’s Distillery Historic District
Soulpepper is proud to be North America’s only year-round classical repertory company, a prominent Canadian producer of original work from existing sources, a leading employer of artists in the City of Toronto and a partner in neighbourhood education initiatives.
Soulpepper Theatre Company is seeking an experienced Assistant Technical Director who will embrace and contribute to new and challenging ways of getting from productions from the page, to the stage.
Soulpepper Theatre Company’s Technical Directors work as an integral part of the creative process in collaboration with productions’ designers and the Director of Production. Reporting to and in association with the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director is responsible for the planning, management and supervision of all technical elements of assigned productions, presentations, and related activities assigned, for the daily operations of Soulpepper Theatre Company, and its joint venture the Young Centre for the Performing Arts.
· Assume the lead technical responsibility for any assigned productions in consultation with the Technical Director
· Ensures that all technical elements on assigned projects are delivered on schedule and on budget
· Produce any AutoCAD plans and/or construction drawings and other production paperwork as directed
· Supervises the building and painting of scenery and decor in the unionized scenic shops as directed
· Supervises unionized technical staff in all areas and venues
· Liaises with Stage Management for notes, and for the smooth transition from shops to technical rehearsal;
· Supervises the installation of all scenic elements in the theatres
· Supervises the installation of all lighting, sound, video, and projection elements in the theatres
· Produce and maintain a good driving abstract. Arrange and perform the pick-up of production supplies when needed
· Assist the Young Centre Manager Building Ops & Production with activities and related logistics as required
· Contribute to the overall success of Soulpepper and the Young Centre by accomplishing related tasks as needed
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Production
· Reports directly to the Technical Director
· Supervisor of Department Heads – Carpentry, and IATSE 828 Scenic & Properties
· Supervisor of Young Centre’s IATSE 58 Stagehands
· Works in conjunction with the Soulpepper Assistant Production Manager
· Works in conjunction with the Young Centre Manager of Building Ops & Production
· Consults and advises the Soulpepper Producing department when requested
Education: Completion of a post-secondary degree from a recognized University, College, or Technical Theatre training institution; or equivalent work experience.
Experience: A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years’ professional experience in a variety of aspects of technical theatre, including time as a Technical Director or Assistant Technical Director.
Knowledge: Knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting. Product, material, pricing and logistics research skills. Some knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems. A thorough knowledge of theatrical lighting, sound, and projection systems. A thorough knowledge of QLAB. And a working knowledge of current safety standards and the implementation of same.
Skills: Superb organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines. Computer literate; strong in MS Office, AUTOCAD, and other various Computer Aided Drafting platforms and relevant computer programs. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams.The ability to produce superior work with established production staff, and highly organized and able to prioritize work and meet rigorous deadlines. Must hold a valid and clean Ontario driver’s license
Problem Solving: Judgement is required in supervising staff and managing daily work for a variety of individuals and departments, in a variety of environments. Misinformation in reporting to the Director of Production or others could lead to safety concerns, financial overruns, and/or serious delays which could adversely affect public performances.
The Assistant Technical Director role represents an opportunity to join a creative and dynamic performing arts organization. The compensation package will include an annual salary commensurate with experience, and comprehensive employment benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Soulpepper is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and our country. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage submissions from individuals with proper credentials, of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. Soulpepper is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. Soulpepper invites candidates who may require assistance during the application and/or hiring process, to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs. Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Only candidates with legal authorization to work in Canada will be considered.
Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please send résumé and cover letter (including salary expectations) detailing
how you can contribute to this dynamic, not-for-profit arts organization by no later than
Wednesday, February 26th, 2020.
To: Search Committee – Assistant Technical Director
Please quote ATD20 on the subject line when applying by email.
post: LJ Savage, Director of Production
Soulpepper Theatre Company
50 Tank House Lane.
Toronto Ontario. M5A 3C4
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year