Senior Human Resources Strategic Partner (HRSP)
Senior Human Resources Strategic Partner (HRSP)
Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources, McMaster University
Salary Band: Band L
Salary Range: $81,428 - $122,142 (annual)
Job Type: Permanent
Hours Per Week: 35
Job Schedule: Monday to Friday
Career Level: Experienced
McMaster University’s Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) is unique as the only Canadian university that combines, in one Faculty, schools of medicine (including two regional campuses), nursing, rehabilitation science, and the programs of midwifery, Bachelor of Health Sciences, physician assistant and postgraduate health sciences education. With over 2500 staff members, 900 full-time and 3000 part-time faculty members the Faculty thrives on its inter-professional and collaborative approach to healthcare and learning. As part of FHS’s continued pursuit of excellence to ensure the Faculty remains at the leading edge of health sciences education, we believe in inter-professional collaboration, commitment to our communities, accountability and responsibility, innovation, excellence, integrity and respect, and optimism.
McMaster University’s Faculty of Health Sciences is seeking a seasoned Senior Human Resources Strategic Partner (HRSP) with at least eight years’ related human resource business partner or generalist experience. The incumbent will have a proven track record as a senior HR business partner, with in depth knowledge of and experience with a broad range of human resource services.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Health Sciences Human Resources, the Senior HRSP provides a full range of Human Resources management and consultative advice/counsel to designated internal client groups within the Faculty. Responsibilities include but are not limited to providing solutions and recommendations on recruitment/selection, employee and labour relations, performance management, organizational development, compensation/benefits, training and development and workforce planning. The successful incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of service-oriented people strategies that are in line with best practices and current trends, anticipating and meeting current and forward-looking needs of our internal clients within our Faculty while leveraging synergies with Central HR programs.
- As a strategic partner, proactively contribute to the business strategy by helping leaders to identify, prioritize, and build organizational capabilities, behaviors, structures, and processes, both current and future state.
- Provide coaching and guidance to department leaders on key areas such as: performance management, recruitment, terminations, diversity and inclusion, compensation, employee development, employment equity, change management, succession planning, strategic workforce planning, and team effectiveness.
- Provide strategic input and support to client groups to grow bench strength; optimize organizational design through workforce and succession planning and champion change management across all levels of the Faculty
- Identifies, assesses, and recommends strategies to improve HR services based on comprehensive knowledge of human resources, and research and analysis of best practices
- Coach managers and employees in the successful resolution of issues and conflicts
- Works in partnership with broader HR team to plan, develop, implement, and execute HR programs and projects that meet client needs, ensuring processes and activities are aligned with Faculty and Department priorities
- Facilitates strategic compensation and benefits conversations, advises on decisions in partnership with the Total Rewards team, with respective client groups
- Ensures the work of HR aligns with the strategic operations of the Faculty and the University
- Builds strong relationships and networks across the faculty and the organization
- Maintains knowledge of current best practices and trends in human resources, including relevant legislation
Skills and Qualifications:
- University degree preferably in Commerce, Psychology, or related field with a focus in Human Resources/Industrial Relations
- CHRL designation strongly preferred
- Minimum 8 years’ HRBP or generalist experience, preferably in a large, unionized environment
- Minimum 3 years’ leadership experience with HR direct reports
- Experience in an academic or health care setting an asset
- Deep functional knowledge and broad experience in all areas of human resources policies, practices processes, and legislation
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and address complex employee and policy issues and exercise sound and experienced judgment in providing advice and guidance, often in ambiguous situations
- Early adopter of process enhancements and demonstrated agility in service design, delivery, and development of programs
- Strategic thinker with proven negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to build trust, follows through, ensures people feel heard, acts with integrity
- Demonstrated coaching, mentoring, and change management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and well-developed communication skills
- Computer proficiency with high level of competence in Microsoft Office applications; knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft an asset
McMaster’s core leadership capabilities are designed to nurture employee engagement through best people practices. All leaders will demonstrate these Leadership Capabilities by: Taking a Strategic Approach; Communicating and Collaborating; Developing People; Investing in Relationships; Championing Change and Innovation; and Driving Results.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected to participate in the selection process will be contacted.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and, within the lands protected by the “Dish with One Spoon” wampum agreement.
In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ+ persons. Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247) or the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources office at ext. 22207 to communicate accommodation needs.
Related keywords: instacart, sales manager, partnerships, finance, business development manager, mba, change management
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $81,428.00-$122,142.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- HR Leadership (with direct reports): 3 years (preferred)
- Strategic Thinking: 8 years (preferred)
- Stakeholder Relations: 8 years (preferred)
- HR within a unionized setting: 8 years (preferred)
- Human Resources Business Partner: 8 years (required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings