Position: General Manager (Co-operatives)
Reporting to: Co-operative Board of Directors
This position requires relocation to Repulse Bay, NU. Expenses WILL be covered
The General Manager is responsible to the Board of Directors for managing and controlling the overall day-to-day administration, operation, coordination and control of all aspects of the Co-operative and it’s subsidiary operations (if any) in accordance with approved financial and operational plans.
Working in close co-operation with the Board of Directors and Arctic Co-operatives Limited, the General Manager will provide management leadership in the short and long term planning of the Co-operative to successfully meet its stated mission and objective. Key accountabilities include training and development of local staff, financial performance of the Co-op, and providing excellent member and customer service. A principal objective is to ensure that all the local staff is thoroughly trained in their areas of responsibility; and that a designated Manager Trainee is identified, developed and capable of assuming the General Manager’s position within a two (2) year period.
Duties & Responsibilities:
In the performance of these duties and responsibilities, the General Manager will utilize to the best of his/her abilities the services provided by the Co-operative System in the Arctic in order to strengthen the Co-op and the Co-op System in the short term and long term:
- To give advice, assistance and training to the Board of Directors and members of the Co-operative in managing their affairs;
- To guide and administer the affairs of the Co-operative in keeping with sound business practices and the objectives of the organization as may be established from time to time by the Board of Directors to ensure profitable operations and positive cash flows;
- To be responsible for all Human Resource matters, concerning hiring, training, promoting, demoting or firing of Co-operative employees;
- To be responsible for achieving the Co-operatives objective of the training and development of local staff;
- To ensure a high level of member and customer service is provided to all patrons of the Co-operative at all times;
- To develop and maintain the Co-operative’s positive position externally with municipal and territorial governments, aboriginal organizations, business groups and the general public;
- To manage, control and protect all assets of the Co-operative from all types of loss;
- To efficiently manage and control all fixed assets of the Co-operative to ensure they are maintained in top quality condition and are protected from loss and obsolescence by developing, implementing and administering policies and procedures that control the use of assets and provide for regular and periodic maintenance or replacement;
- To ensure all assets of the Co-operative have appropriate insurance coverage at all times;
- To maintain good and regular communication with the Board of Directors, members of the Co-operative, and with the staff;
- To coordinate regular and special meetings of the Board of Directors;
- To attend all meetings of the Board of Directors and to provide regular written and oral reports on the monthly operations of the Co-operative, interpreting financial statements, reporting on correspondence and activities and advising on policies and future planning;
- To refer to the Board of Directors those matters which require their attention and or approval;
- To guide the arrangements and coordination of the annual meeting(s) of the Co-operative;
- To maintain a close and harmonious relationship with the Co-operative System in the Arctic and to utilize the services provided by the Co-op System to the greatest extent possible;
- To prepare and present to the Board of Directors for approval the annual operating and financial plan (budget) of the Co-operative;
- To administer, control and supervise all policies of the Co-operative including policies and procedures relating to credit, operations and human resources;
- To recommend to the Board of Directors policies and procedures that may be necessary to improve the operations and control of the Co-operative;
- To appraise continually the operating results of the Co-operative and to take prompt corrective action as required to ensure all operations are viable;
- To control and supervise the finances (custody of cash, cheque writing, borrowing, etc.) of the Co-operative and strive for high levels of efficiency and maintain a careful and judicious control of expenses;
- To keep informed of general business and economic conditions, legislation, new developments and problems that may affect the position of the Co-operative.
- To continuously upgrade and maintain the skills and abilities necessary to manage the various areas of operation and business units;
- To manage the business operations in keeping with the philosophies and integrity of the Co-operative System by utilizing its resources, participating in its programs and adopting standardized best practices and policies;
- To perform other duties as required for the proper management of the business operations and the association.
- Directly responsible to the Board of Directors, and/or their designates for the performance of the Co-operative;
- Reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for implementation, administration and control of all policies of the Co-operative (operating, personnel, credit, etc.);
- All employees of the Co-operative report to the manager directly or indirectly and are responsible to the manager;
- To maintain close and harmonious working relationships with the staff of Arctic Co-operatives Limited and its field personnel.
- Minimum 5 years multi purpose management experience with strong emphasis on retail management (food and non-food);
- Knowledge of and experience in a computerized environment, including the operation and administration of a Point of Sale (POS) computer system;
- Strong financial management skills including the ability to review and analyze financial statements;
- Ability to efficiently manage inventory levels, order stock, and price products to achieve gross margin targets;
- Excellent people management skills including the ability to recruit, hire, train, motivate, evaluate, discipline, develop and increase staff performance in a cross-cultural environment;
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- Proficient in office software packages (word processing, spreadsheets, Internet, e-mail, etc.) MS Office preferred;
- Knowledge of or experience living in the Arctic a definite asset;
- Experience and understanding of Co-operatives and working with Boards of Directors would be an asset;
- Maintain a valid drivers license;
- Maintain acceptable criminal reference, credit reference to ensure eligibility for bonding.
- Extended hours of work, including 10-12 hours per day, 5-6 days per week are not unusual in a retail operation due to the multi-faceted nature of the Co-operative.
- Access to medical facilities is limited with many locations only having a nurse station.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- general manager: 1 year (Preferred)