Global Affairs Canada - IM/IT Bureau (SID)
Ottawa (Ontario), Gatineau (Québec)
$95,201 to $118,499 (2017 rates)
For further information on the organization, please visit Global Affairs Canada
Need help with your application? Check out our video for tips and advice!
Opportunity is knocking for junior technical/business specialists. Ready to open the door? OTHER IM/IT OPPORTUNITIES AT GAC
Opportunity is knocking for Team Leaders and Technical Advisors. Ready to open the door? OTHER IM/IT OPPORTUNITIES AT GAC
30 December 2019 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
ABOUT GLOBAL AFFAIRS CANADA
Global Affairs Canada manages Canada’s diplomatic relations, provides consular services to Canadians, promotes the country’s international trade, and leads Canada’s international development and humanitarian assistance.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVENESS
At Global Affairs Canada, we know diversity enables excellence and innovation. Global Affairs Canada is committed to building a diverse and representative workforce. Government of Canada Chief Information Officers are also committed to increasing the representation of Women in technology. We welcome all qualified applicants and encourage candidates to self-declare as members of the following designated employment equity groups: women, aboriginal peoples, members of visible minorities and, persons with disabilities.
Dedicated, motivated, client-centric, result oriented and a team player? Interested in enabling the business of Government of Canada abroad? WE WANT YOU TO JOIN OUR TEAM!
Global Affairs Canada is hiring the next generation of IT professionals who are eager to innovate, modernize and disrupt technology on a global scale. We have opportunities available for all levels including junior technical/business specialists, team leads and managers.
We are recruiting top talent in several areas including:
- Enterprise systems (SAP, PeopleSoft, MS Dynamics, Office365, OpenText, Robotics Process Automation)
- Cloud administration (Azure, AWS)
- Architecture (solution, data, cloud)
- Data analytics and data science (machine learning, artificial intelligence)
- Web-based application development (.NET, HTML5, CSS3)
- System administration and configuration (SAP, PeopleSoft)
- Project management, business analysis and quality assurance
Global Affairs Canada offers the possibility of flexible work arrangements such as telework, compressed workweeks, leave with income averaging, opportunities to be part of a networking community, and outstanding professional development opportunities in a wide variety of fields and functions.
A career with Global Affairs Canada is a career without borders. If you are ready to work in a modern, collaborative and empowered workplace, in a department where you can pursue your full career potential, look no further and apply below!
#SAP #JAVA #HTML5 #AWS #AZURE #WEB #PEOPLESOFT #SQL #ROBOTICS #RPA, #AGILE #MSDYNAMICS #PEOPLESOFT #CLOUD #DOTNET #INNOVATION #GCDOCS #O365 #DATA #BI #ANALYTICS #TEAMSITE #DATASCIENCE #R #PYTHON
Intent of the process
The intent of this process is to staff four (4) positions on an indeterminate basis in the following streams:
- STREAM 1 – IM/IT Manager
- STREAM 2 – Senior Advisor
A pool of qualified and/or partially qualified candidates could be established from this process and may be used to staff similar positions with various tenures.
Positions to be filled:
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
Candidates must clearly demonstrate in the screening questionnaire how they meet the education and experience factors listed as essential on the statement of merit criteria. In order to do so, the candidate must provide the information as part of their answer to the pertinent screening question, using concrete examples, in the provided area and within the limited characters provided by the system. The assessment board cannot and will not make any assumptions about your experience. Note that it is not sufficient to only state that the qualifications are met or to provide a listing of current or past responsibilities. Resumes will be used as a secondary source to validate the experience described in the experience questionnaire. Failure to clearly demonstrate in the questionnaire how you meet the essential education and experience, may result in the rejection of your application. Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information.
Successful completion of two years of an acceptable post-secondary educational program in computer science, information technology, information management or another specialty relevant to the position to be staffed.
1. Indeterminate period incumbents of positions in the CS group on May 10, 1999, who do not possess the education prescribed above, are deemed to meet the minimum education standards based on their education, training and/or experience. They must be accepted as having met the minimum education standard whenever this standard is called for when staffing positions in the CS group.
2. It is the recognized educational institution (e.g. community college, CÉGEP or university) that determines if the courses taken by a candidate correspond to two years of a post-secondary program at the institution.
3. At the manager's discretion, an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience may serve as an alternative to the minimum post-secondary education stated above. Whenever the minimum education is met using this alternative, it is met for the specific position only and must be re-assessed for other positions for which this alternative has been specified by the manager.
Significant* experience providing technical services or advice in at least one of the following areas:
o Quality assurance;
o IT security;
o IT support;
o Database Administration;
o Data Management;
o Enterprise Architecture;
o Platform Administration;
o Cloud Administration.
Significant* experience providing advice to senior management** on IM/IT issues.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Bilingual - Imperative
Various language requirements
BBB/BBB or CBC/CBC Imperative
Information on language requirements
STREAM 1 - IM/IT MANAGER
Significant* experience in financial management including tasks such as managing a budget or managing contracts or forecasting or planning or reporting.
Signficant* experience managing a minimum of three (3) direct reports including assigning duties and managing performance.
STREAM 2 – SENIOR ADVISOR
Significant* experience documenting one or more architecture domains such as:
o application architecture;
o technology architecture;
o security architecture;
o business architecture;
o information architecture;
o data architecture;
o data science (e.g. machine learning, artificial intelligence);
o cloud architecture; or
o enterprise architecture.
- Significant is defined as depth and breadth of experience normally associated with the performance of those duties on a regular basis for a period of two (2) years or more at the level of a Team Leader or Technical Advisor (e.g.: CS03) or above or the private sector equivalent.
** Senior management is defined as a Director, Executive Director or above (e.g. CS05, EX01) or the private sector equivalent.
KNOWLEDGE - ALL STREAMS:
COMPETENCIES - ALL STREAMS:
- Knowledge of current and emerging IM/IT trends and priorities in the Government of Canada.
- Knowledge of project management principles.
ABILITIES - ALL STEAMS:
- Create Vision and Strategy
- Mobilize People
- Uphold Integrity and Respect
- Collaborate with Partners and Stakeholders
- Promote Innovation and Guide Change
- Achieve Results
- Ability to analyze problems and develop recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
1. A diploma from a 3-year program offered by a recognized College with specialization in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering or any other field related to the position.
2. A Bachelor or Master’s degree from a recognized university with specialization in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering or any other field related to the position.
3. Professional certification in one or more of the following IM/IT areas:
o Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL);
o Project Management;
o Business Analysis;
o Enterprise Architecture;
o Mobile App Development;
o Product Owner Certification;
o International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA);
o Data Science (e.g. machine learning, artificial intelligence, etc.);
o Data Management.
1. Experience formulating and implementing IT plans or strategies to achieve client or management objectives.
2. Experience with cloud infrastructure.
3. Experience in one or more of the following:
designing, developing, testing or delivering IM/IT products or services using defined methodologies and best practices.
4. Experience managing and delivering data and analytics solutions (Business Intelligence, Data Management, Data Science (e.g. machine learning, artificial intelligence)).
5. Experience implementing solutions for network infrastructure, telecommunication infrastructure or architecture.
6. Experience completing business analysis or architectural design functions in support of IM/IT projects or initiatives.
7. Experience leading the design, development and support of complex technical solutions using Oracle PeopleSoft technology.
8. Experience leading the design, development and support of complex technical solutions using SAP technology.
9. Experience providing services as an Enterprise Architect or for one of the following architecture domains: business, information, application, technology, security, etc.
10. Experience with Service Management Systems.
11. Experience with Business Process Automation.
12. Experience with Robotic Process Automation.
13. Experience working with Agile Scrum Framework.
14. Experience managing five (5) or more direct reports including assigning duties and managing performance.
15. Experience conducting assessments for modernizing various technology including IM/IT tools and platform.
16. Experience providing advise or services related to open government.
17. Experience with designing or implementing desktop engineering elements (e.g. Operating system, Software and patch deployment, Peripheral equipment and device drivers, Active directory, Security Certificate management, Print management, Cloud printing, Common off the shelf (COTS) desktop products).
18. Experience in designing or engineering or operating Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) or Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
19. Experience in the design, engineering, integration, testing, implementation, operation and maintenance of IT security solutions such as:
o Endpoint security (for example:
antivirus, antimalware, data loss prevention (DLP), encryption, host-based intrusion detection/prevention, application whitelisting, endpoint detection and response (EDR) solutions);
o Network security (for example:
firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention, web proxy filtering, secure remote access/VPN);
o Cloud security (for example:
Cloud Access Security Broker/CASB, automated/advanced threat protection, federated identity services);
o Security analysis (for example:
enterprise vulnerability scanning, security information and event management/SIEM, cyber threat intelligence ingestion and reporting);
o Establishing secure environments in a variety of platforms, operating systems, environments or database technologies.
20. Experience conducting IT security assessments including:
o Threat Risk Assessment (TRA) and security assessment and evaluation based on ITSG-33;
o Vulnerability Assessment (VA) or Penetration Testing (PenTest);
o Designing and implementation of mitigations and remediation solutions.
21. Experience in IT security incident detection and response including technical analysis (e.g. network or endpoint forensics).
- Willingness and ability to work overtime on short notice.
- Willingness and ability to travel on occasion.
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
1. Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. Candidates who apply to this selection process should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users (some email systems block these types of email).
2. Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
3. You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
In order to ensure that you are assessed in a fair and equitable manner in the next stages, please advise us if you require accommodation measures.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.